• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GA speeding ticket sent to FL collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robmpulse

What is the name of your state? FL and GA

Okay. I went to renew my FL driver license back in May, and was refused. I was told there was an unpaid ticket in the state of GA from 7 years ago (which is right before I got my FL license) that was unpaid and my old GA license was suspended. I was told that had to be paid in order to renew my FL license. Time passed, I didn't resolve it. I got two tickets in FL and didn't pay those. One was driving on an expired license. Those did not get paid and my FL license is officially suspended, not just expired.

I am trying to finally take care of these things, as I am out of my "bad times" and getting back on my feet. I call the probate court (Camden County) to pay my ticket, and I was told it was sent to a collection agency in FL. I call them, and they not only want to charge me $260.00 for the original citation, but also 40% on top of that, citing FL statute 28.246 that allows them to do so. They also want to only let me pay by credit card and want to also charge me a $15 fee for making payment!

Can I not just bypass the collection agency and pay the state of GA directly? Can they legally charge me those fees?

The statute also states that the court can charge the fee, not the collection agency. And when I call the state, they tell me I only owe $260.00. But they do mention I will have to pay the collection agencies fees.

The statute also states that the court has to try to collect in another manner before using a private 3rd party collection agency. What happens if they didn't? Do they have to drop this all together?

I don't mind paying the $260.00, but with fees and everything the collection agency is trying to charge me 375.00! I think that is absolutely ridiculous!

Hopefully I can get a fast response. Thanks for the help in advance!!!!!!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

FlyingRon

I'm confused.

You have two things here. You MUST resolve the fines in Georgia.

You also have fines in Florida, you must pay them.

If the collection agency is collecting on Georgia debt, the FL28.246 doesn't apply. If they told you that they are in error.

Now of course if they are talking about your Florida fines, then they are right.

If Camden County was willing to settle with you directly, that would be an option, but if they've sold the debt wholesale to the collections agency (which seems to be the case), then you're stuck paying for the cost of collections.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">