• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GC Services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrbummed

California, Turning right through a Red Light, Camera Ticket

I went through a red light on 05/08/2007, I'm finally getting something from GC Services in the mail now. I went through all my receipts and I can't find anything that shows I paid this ticket. The civil assessment fee bumped the ticket up to $494, I would much rather pay $194 or $159 (which was what it originally was.) Is it possible to go to the LA court house, give them my ticket number and pay the original ticket price? GC Services does not negotiate, Does anyone know an alternative route? Thanks for any advice in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CourtClerk

California, Turning right through a Red Light, Camera Ticket

I went through a red light on 05/08/2007, I'm finally getting something from GC Services in the mail now. I went through all my receipts and I can't find anything that shows I paid this ticket. The civil assessment fee bumped the ticket up to $494, I would much rather pay $194 or $159 (which was what it originally was.)
I'm sure you would, however, you don't get that option once you don't pay the ticket before the appearance date on the bottom.
Is it possible to go to the LA court house, give them my ticket number and pay the original ticket price?
Nope. The court has given the ticket to GC Services to deal with. They no longer want to deal with it.
GC Services does not negotiate, Does anyone know an alternative route?
Speak to the GC representative and ask them to schedule an arraignment date. Then you can go to court, speak to the judge and see if they will cut SOMETHING off of the ticket, IF you have a legal excuse (which you don't) for failing to appear. "I'd rather pay the lower amount" isn't a good excuse either. I'd rather only pay $5 a month on my car payment, but it doesn't work that way.

I_Got_Banned

Speak to the GC representative and ask them to schedule an arraignment date.
My guess is that the GC Services phone reps will not be willing to schedule anything remotely close to a court appearance. You may be better off visiting the GC Services window at the courthouse.

mrbummed

Thanks for info. I know the excuse is weak, but aren't they all. The woman from GC Services said going to the window is just a waste of time because they will end up telling you to call her again to pay the ticket. I'm not sure if she is just saying that, but based on the lines they have outside of the courthouse. It could take 3 hours of waiting to get no progress. I'm going to call tomorrow and ask about the scheduling a date. I'll let you know how that goes.

CourtClerk

Thanks for info. I know the excuse is weak, but aren't they all.
No, they aren't. A woman came into court after her ticket went into collections. Her mother died and she could prove it. She was in the hospital at her mother's bedside for 7 days while she watched her mother expire and a ticket was the last thing on her mind. FTA and civil assessment thrown out.

A man received a ticket and then received notice that he was being deployed in a couple of months - and brought PROOF. He was so stressed out over leaving his family once again and going to training and trying to prepare his wife (who had just had a baby - and brought proof) for him leaving that he simply forgot. Ticket dismissed.

YOUR excuse is weak.

mrbummed

Speak to the GC representative and ask them to schedule an arraignment date. Then you can go to court, speak to the judge and see if they will cut SOMETHING off of the ticket, IF you have a legal excuse (which you don't) for failing to appear. "I'd rather pay the lower amount" isn't a good excuse either. I'd rather only pay $5 a month on my car payment, but it doesn't work that way.
Can they schedule an arraignment date if you've already seen the judge once about the ticket?

mrbummed

I went to traffic court. Because the ticket went up in price, she lowered it, dropping the civil assessment fee. I pleaded guilty to the ticket. I must have never paid it after that date because I wasn't working at the time. I would only want to go back to traffic court. I don't want to go to court to argue the ticket. I'm not sure which each of those courts is called.

And at this point, I'm not sure a court day and those lines would be worth the discounted ticket.

I_Got_Banned

They do it all the time...
CC, when was the last time you had to deal with GC Services over the phone? ;)
Can they schedule an arraignment date if you've already seen the judge once about the ticket?
In your next post, (post #9) you stated you've already entered a plea! No more arraignment for you.
I went to traffic court. Because the ticket went up in price, she lowered it, dropping the civil assessment fee. I pleaded guilty to the ticket. I must have never paid it after that date because I wasn't working at the time. I would only want to go back to traffic court. I don't want to go to court to argue the ticket. I'm not sure which each of those courts is called.
You already got "a discount" once and you chose not to take advantage of that chance to pay the reduced ticket... Without a legit excuse for your failure to comply, what makes you think the judge is going to buy into your story AGAIN?
And at this point, I'm not sure a court day and those lines would be worth the discounted ticket.
Well, then pay it and get it over with.

By the way, there's a pretty good chance that "a hold" was placed on your license by the court, either for your failure to appear (the first time) or your failure to pay (the second time)... Point is, contact the DMV and check on your license status. If it is suspended, then you'll have to go stand in line at the DMV to get that taken care of before you can start driving again.

CourtClerk

You can't go back to court on it. The court won't allow you to appear again. At this point, they will suspend your license until the ticket is paid... in full.

CourtClerk

CC, when was the last time you had to deal with GC Services over the phone? ;)
CC doesn't get tickets anymore...

However, when she did, she never had to, because I believe in paying my bills on time. However, I know several of the phone center supervisors, regional supervisors and the like for the county. ALSO, in all the years that I spent working at the largest traffic court in the county, I have NEVER heard one person say that they were refused an arraignment date for a ticket that qualified for it (key word being qualified). I've heard a whole lot of other stuff, but that wasn't one of the complaints... ever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">