• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Generic Ordinance ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trichert

I was issued a speeding ticket along with citations for expired insurance/registration. (I had both in the car but they were not the most recent copies bleh !)

Anyway the officer cited "MA 18" for all 3 charges. After some deciphering I have come to the conclusion that he is citing Chapter 18 of the Macomb, MI county Ordinances which is "Traffic and Motor Vehicles".

However .. a) he can't just cite a chaper right ? He is supposed to cite the ordinance i broke ?

b) speeding tickets are not county violations but state ones and the only tie in is MA 18-602 "Adoption of provisions of Michigan Vehicle Code by reference".

Is it sufficient for him to cite so broadly ?

The Occultist

Along with citing the chapters, did he also write on the citation a description of what you were being charged with? If not, you can show up to court and ask for a dismissal based on the fact that you were not notified of your charges and as such were unable to come up with an appropriate defense. Keep in mind that if this works, they can still issue new citations with the correct charges on them, so all you'll really be doing is buying yourself a little time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">