• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Georgia Code, Title 40-6-16 "Move Over Law"- Couldn't safely change lanes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

My sister was cited for violating Georgia's "Move Over" Law today. The law requires drivers to move into an available left lane as they approach an emergency vehicle or law enforcement officer pulled onto the right shoulder. If a lane change is not possible or would not be safe, then the driver must slow to a 'reasonable' speed and be prepared to stop if necessary.

My sister was in right-hand lane of a two-lane interstate and she approached an officer who had another vehicle pulled off to the right issuing a traffic citation. She could not safely move into the left lane due to other vehicles, so she continued in the right lane at approximately 55mph (65mph zone). Within 30 seconds of passing the officer and motorist on her right, an officer was behind her with his blue lights flashing. She actually wasn't aware of the law, but has always tried to move over when possible out of common sense and being a safe driver. She checked the left mirror and couldn't make a lane change, so she proceeded at 10mph under the speed limit. She also counted 13 cars which didn't move over as the officer issued her a ticket on the right shoulder.

I told her that ignorance of the law isn't a valid defense. But it sounds as though she tried to comply with the spirit of the law (which is to protect law enforcement and emergency personnel from being hit by fast moving vehicles).

She asked my advice on how she should handle this. She is 42 and hasn't had any kind of ticket or accident in 10+ years. Worst case scenario, she should be able to go to court and request to attend defensive driving school to avoid having the ticket appear on her MVR. Two nights in a classroom won't be fun and will cost about $100, but it beats a 3pt violation on her MVR and the possible impact it could have on her insurance premiums for the next three years. I am actually her insurance agent and, if her insurer decides to pull an MVR in the next three years (which they do at random on less than 20% of established customers each year), it will cost her up to a 25% increase. Just to be safe, I told her she should avoid having it on her MVR if possible, just to be safe.

But is there any other option? If the cop doesn't appear in court that day, will they throw it out based on her account of events?

Thanks for any guidance you can offer!

aldaron

If the law is like in my state it says to move over if it can be done safely, or reduce speed to 20mph or lower. She had 2 choices and did neither.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
She also counted 13 cars which didn't move over as the officer issued her a ticket on the right shoulder.
How is this relevant? All it proves is that there is definitely a problem with motorists complying with this statute. The subsequent actions of others have no bearing on your sister's actions.

If the law is like in my state it says to move over if it can be done safely, or reduce speed to 20mph or lower. She had 2 choices and did neither.
It doesn't specify 20mph below the speed limit.

The law states "reduce the speed of the motor vehicle to a reasonable and proper speed for the existing road and traffic conditions, which speed shall be less than the posted speed limit, and be prepared to stop."

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
It doesn't specify 20mph below the speed limit.

The law states "reduce the speed of the motor vehicle to a reasonable and proper speed for the existing road and traffic conditions, which speed shall be less than the posted speed limit, and be prepared to stop."
If one is going 55mph (especially on a GA freeway), one is hardly 'prepared to stop'. :cool:

https://www.gahighwaysafety.org/highway-safety/move-over-law/

How is this relevant? All it proves is that there is definitely a problem with motorists complying with this statute. The subsequent actions of others have no bearing on your sister's actions.
You're right. She had just called me when I originally posted this question and I just rehashed what she said to me. I now realize that she was basically trying to say "but they get away with it" as an excuse or defense.

It does, however, illustrate that many drivers are ignorant of this law. I was aware of the law, but most of us who work in the insurance industry hear about any new traffic or driving laws from the carriers we represent as well as the Insurance Commissioner's Office. But no one that I've asked outside of the insurance industry (family, friends, Facebook friends) knew that such a law existed, with the exception of a first cousin who got a ticket for violating it last year.

Seriously, how are the millions of drivers in each state expected to learn about any new or modified driving laws? It seems that most of them learn about a law's existence only when they've been cited for breaking it. Too often, cities or counties will suddenly decide to enforce a law that has been on the books for years and they issue citations for hundreds, even thousands of violations and huge amounts of revenue....until the news media finds out and educate the public about the risk of getting a ticket and being fined, then those same cities and counties no longer have any interest in 'enforcing' those same laws since they no longer generate massive cash flow!

If one is going 55mph (especially on a GA freeway), one is hardly 'prepared to stop'. :cool:

https://www.gahighwaysafety.org/highway-safety/move-over-law/
My car only needs 132 feet to reach a dead stop from 60mph, so 55mph would be even less. The language is ambiguous, at best. Driving 55mph in a 65mph zone with your foot covering the break pedal, prepared to make a sudden stop if necessary could be considered "prepared to stop".

The lack of specific parameters or failure to define "reasonable and proper speed" (as the law reads) was intentional, but I question the motive behind such vague language. Was it to ensure that the law could be applied to the widest variety of incidents where a LEO or emergency worker might be injured or killed? Or was it to maximize income generated by citations issued at the officer's discretion based on his interpretation of the law?

ShyCat

Seriously, how are the millions of drivers in each state expected to learn about any new or modified driving laws?
It's called being an educated citizen. No different than paying attention to the issues and candidates before voting. I pay attention to the local news and read a local daily newspaper. Trust me, there's always news about new laws being passed and again when they become effective. I remember clearly when this same law was enacted in my state. If one cannot be bothered, then one takes their chances.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
You're right. She had just called me when I originally posted this question and I just rehashed what she said to me. I now realize that she was basically trying to say "but they get away with it" as an excuse or defense.

It does, however, illustrate that many drivers are ignorant of this law. I was aware of the law, but most of us who work in the insurance industry hear about any new traffic or driving laws from the carriers we represent as well as the Insurance Commissioner's Office. But no one that I've asked outside of the insurance industry (family, friends, Facebook friends) knew that such a law existed, with the exception of a first cousin who got a ticket for violating it last year.

Seriously, how are the millions of drivers in each state expected to learn about any new or modified driving laws? It seems that most of them learn about a law's existence only when they've been cited for breaking it. Too often, cities or counties will suddenly decide to enforce a law that has been on the books for years and they issue citations for hundreds, even thousands of violations and huge amounts of revenue....until the news media finds out and educate the public about the risk of getting a ticket and being fined, then those same cities and counties no longer have any interest in 'enforcing' those same laws since they no longer generate massive cash flow!
I knew about it and I don't even live in Georgia. Such laws are advertised heavily by local media especially before they go into effect. And there's all those signs on the freeways. :cool:

Can't help that your legislature didn't write a law clear enough. Write/call your local legislature member if you think the law needs fixing.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
My car only needs 132 feet to reach a dead stop from 60mph, so 55mph would be even less. The language is ambiguous, at best. Driving 55mph in a 65mph zone with your foot covering the break pedal, prepared to make a sudden stop if necessary could be considered "prepared to stop".

The lack of specific parameters or failure to define "reasonable and proper speed" (as the law reads) was intentional, but I question the motive behind such vague language. Was it to ensure that the law could be applied to the widest variety of incidents where a LEO or emergency worker might be injured or killed? Or was it to maximize income generated by citations issued at the officer's discretion based on his interpretation of the law?
Gee, you think everything in that 132 stopping feet automagically disappears when you hit the brakes? :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">