• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Georgia: Are officers required to show up in court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MemphisQueen

What is the name of your state? GEORGIA

I am going in for my court date tomorrow (April 13th) and have reviewed the state code for which I was cited (going 82 in a 55, not indicated as reckless driving on my ticket). However I can not find out if Georgia follows the 'rule' that if the officer does not show up in court if the case is dimissed.

Does anyone know??

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MemphisQueen said:
What is the name of your state? GEORGIA

I am going in for my court date tomorrow (April 13th) and have reviewed the state code for which I was cited (going 82 in a 55, not indicated as reckless driving on my ticket). However I can not find out if Georgia follows the 'rule' that if the officer does not show up in court if the case is dimissed.

Does anyone know??

My response:

The officer is not required to appear at your "preliminary hearing" - - that is, when you plead "guilty" or "not guilty". If you choose "not guilty", then a trial date will be calendared for you. If the officer doesn't appear at your trial, then the judge must dismiss your case.

IAAL

MemphisQueen

Thank you for your quick response. As it is my first ever speeding ticket I don't quite know what to expect.

I suppose I will simply be taking the advice I see repeated time and time again on here and show up early and ask the clerk what the best option for me is. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">