• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

georgia traffic laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redbynature

4 monthes ago i bought a new car. it already had tinted windows and no cadalatic converter. it is a 2004 cobra mustang. i bought it from a dealership in kennesaw. i live in bartow county. last night i got pulled over in kennesaw because he said my windows were to dark and my exhaust was too loud. he gave me 2 tickets for each one. i explained that i bought the car this way, and that in bartow county, i am not required to have a converter on the car. since i think technically the dealership sold me an illegal car shouldn't they be responsible to make it right, or am i gonna have to bite the bullet

S

shell007

Two threads going on here!!!

Delete one of them. Preferably the other one since there is no info.

redbynature said:
4 monthes ago i bought a new car. it already had tinted windows and no cadalatic converter. it is a 2004 cobra mustang. i bought it from a dealership in kennesaw. i live in bartow county. last night i got pulled over in kennesaw because he said my windows were to dark and my exhaust was too loud. he gave me 2 tickets for each one. i explained that i bought the car this way, and that in bartow county, i am not required to have a converter on the car. since i think technically the dealership sold me an illegal car shouldn't they be responsible to make it right, or am i gonna have to bite the bullet
Why would your state have different regulations in regards to exhaust?
does your state have inspection rules? if it does not then there is not much they can do to you. I have a japan engine in my car and I would not pass emissions in any regulated state. It depends on the state regulation in regards to exhausts and window tint. If the dealership sold you a car that can not pass your states emissions then it is their responiblity to make it right ...

It looks like some counties in georgia require emissions testing and some do not..... check this site out for your answers

http://www.cleanairforce.com/emission.htm

and wow if you look at that site sincee you bought it in kennesaw which is in cobb county then they are required to get a VIR vehicle inspection report within the past 12 months before they sold you the vehicle ... so get em to take care of you.... :)

Last edited:

racer72

redbynature said:
i explained that i bought the car this way, and that in bartow county, i am not required to have a converter on the car.

Unless Bartow County is outside of the United States, your car is required to have a catalytic converter. That is a federal law, it is part of the Clean Air Act [203(a)(3)(A)and(B)], states cannot override that law. You can be fined up to $5000. Except for some basic safety measures, dealers can sell cars in just about any condition they want. It is up to you, the person driving the car on the road, to insure that the vehicle meets all federal and state requirements. Start chewing but lead in not good for you.

justalayman

I couldn't find laws for Georgia but I am aware that in some states it is illegal for a dealer to sell a car without cat converter.
Redemption man has a good link for you.

If the dealership has inspect and claims converters on when sold, looks like the blame might come back to you. That can get very expensive.

As far as the tint goes, it seems to be allowable but only to a certain light restriction level. In my states the cops would hold their hand behind window and look through window to judge darkness. If you can prove that you tint is light enough you should be able to get off. But if it is too dark SOL.

Ultimately it is your responsibility on the tint. If in doubt stop by and ask the cops. If you didn't ignorance won't get you very far.

You MAY be able to get some help on the converter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">