• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting charged extra

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

squirrelly

What is the name of your state?minnesota. Got a speeding ticket in Omaha last january. In a speed trap coming from highway speed to constuction zone over a hill with new speed over top of hill. It was in evening(dark). Okay got ticket, got home sent in the $65.00 and they sent it back asking for more money for court cost etc. which would make it like $114.00? The officer told us $65.00 the courthouse wants more and I just keep sending my check back to them for the $65.00. Can they charge extra even though the officer told us $65.00? Or is it cause were out of state?

Thanks for replies

CdwJava

It has been common practice in recent years for jurisdictions to tack on court costs and fees as well as the fines.

Whether the added fines are due to your not being a resident, I don't know. Different states do it differently. And in my state we do not put the fines on the citation so that whole concept just seems odd to me anyway.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">