• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Given a Break, can it be used against me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alaskanwolf

What is the name of your state? Maryland for the ticket.
I live in Virginia.
Hello,

I was speeding in Maryland and flagged over by a state trooper. He was professional and told me I was doing 76 in a 55. I was as respectfull as I could be because that is wreckless and I was starting to get scared. He came back and told me he was giving me a break and only wrote me up for 64 in a 55. *whew* However, on the ticket on the bottom line under "DOT No." he wrote "76 mph"
Now, Im debating on going to court or not, but only to plead guilty and hope for a dismissal for going to traffic school. The trooper couldnt try to charge me with going 76 because I made him show up for court, could he? The actual charge is written up for 64 in a 55, but seeing 76mph on the ticket anywhere worries me.

I dont intend to fight the ticket at all, just minimize my losses. What sucks is the ticket will transfer to Virginia where I live, where the minimum number of points for any ticket is three. Should I goto MD and plead guilty to try to have the charge dismissed in exchange for traffic school or just pre-pay and then attend my own driving school which would automatically take off 5 points? I have a clean record up to this point.
Edit: Blah. Patience pays off. I read the back of the ticket, and it mentions a waiver hearing on the back. Where I can plead guilty and go before a judge for sentencing only. No witnesses or officer will be present. So thats my third option.
Thanks!

Last edited:

I couldn't imagine him getting "mad" because you made him show up in court. After all, itis probably time and a half for him!!! If he cut you a break, I can almost guarentee you he will not, nor could he, recite you for higher because you went to court. He'd lose his job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">