• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Good defense on Careless Driving Ticket? Tips appreciated.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dfresh71

State: NJ

Received a Careless Driving Ticket for likely to endanger someone. It was 11:30pm at night and I driving down a road with a speed limit of 25mph with 3 signal lights shortly spaced between each other. I hit every light and turned into a plaza to go to a convenient store and also to pick up some take-out within the plaza. About 15 minutes later I exited another part of the plaza and went back down the same road. A police officer at an intersection pulled a U-Turn and pulled me over after following me about a mile. He asked me if I knew the posted speed limit of the road I was previously on, which I stated "Not sure 30-35mph?" and he stated it was 25mph. He stated he was sitting somewhere off the side of the road (with his police partner) and that I passed him going at least 50-60mph previously (15 minutes earlier) down the road. I told the officer that I stopped at every traffic light and was not speeding. He issued me a ticket for careless driving stating we can both agree that I went over 25mph (which I disagreed with him when handing the ticket to me).

Now in good faith I'm confident that I was not excessively speeding, maybe a little hard taking off after the signal light with a stick shift, but I was not speeding excessively more than 30mph. I'm pleading this as not guilty, and requesting proof that the officer knew that it was my vehicle 15 minutes earlier, that I was the driver and evidence that I was speeding. I plan on taking a small map of the road, showing the small distances between the lights and that it's hard to even reach those limits greater than 50-60mph. Any suggestion/tips taking this to trial?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">