• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got busted in Nevada

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z06driver

Hi, I am a resident of California and last month on my way back home I was pulled over by NV Hwy Patrol on US 6 just west of Tonopah. The officer stated I was doing 93 in a 70 however the nice fellow wrote me down for 83 in a 70. I got my license in 1999 and this is my first traffic ticket ever and the fine is $207. However the designated justice court in Goldfield sent me a letter outlining options for me. If I pay $622 and take online traffic school the violation is reduced to a seat belt violation and my record remains clean. I have heard that since is my first ticket plus the fact that it was out of state it would not go on my record anyways. So I just want to make sure if it is really worthwhile for me to pay the $622 versus paying only $207. I will appreciate any advice. Thanks

The Occultist

There is a system called the Non Resident Violators Compact, and states that are apart of this report violations to each other. Meaning if you get a ticket in a state you don't live in, that state will inform your state of the violation. Each state has their own way of handling it such reports, but will usually result in a couple of points on your license.

Now, while Nevada is a part of this compact, California isn't, so I'm not sure exactly how CA handles those reports. I have heard, though, that if somebody reports to CA that CA may suspend your license over it.

Also something you should think about is the fact that your insurance company WILL find out about the violation, and they often use their own point system separate from the DMV when figuring out your new premiums. So, if NV reports merely a seatbelt violation, then I'm sure the insurance company won't boost your premium. I'd go with that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">