• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got a careless driving citation today instead of speeding ticket, is court worth it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dontWantMorePnt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Today I got pulled over for going 88 in a 65, i was late for work and no one was really around so I decided to take a risk that did not pay off.

He said he was gonna let me off easy but came back with a ticket anyways so I was confused but after a little googling I guess he did let me off easy.

The traffic offense he put down was Careless Driving. In the "Other Traffic/Parking Offense" section he put down "88/65". I would just take the points and pay the fine but the thing is, I already have points on my license from an accident that I got into in 2013 in a construction zone and that skyrocketed my insurance.

These points would probably make it go up even more.

Now, the question is, should I go to court? I'm not trying to 'beat' the ticket, I doubt I can. I just want to negotiate for something with no points while keeping fines and fees as low as possible.

FlyingRon

Given how much you were speeding, careless driving may be a better deal. Careless is only 2 points, but 15 over is 4 (and it goes up from there).
The only thing is that some insurance companies will score careless at a higher premium rate than certain other violations. There's no statutory scoring rule in NJ so you'll have to read your policy.

As far as your insurance, nothing short of getting an aquittal (unlikely) is going to avoid rate increases most likely.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Today I got pulled over for going 88 in a 65, i was late for work and no one was really around so I decided to take a risk that did not pay off.

He said he was gonna let me off easy but came back with a ticket anyways so I was confused but after a little googling I guess he did let me off easy.

The traffic offense he put down was Careless Driving. In the "Other Traffic/Parking Offense" section he put down "88/65". I would just take the points and pay the fine but the thing is, I already have points on my license from an accident that I got into in 2013 in a construction zone and that skyrocketed my insurance.

These points would probably make it go up even more.

Now, the question is, should I go to court? I'm not trying to 'beat' the ticket, I doubt I can. I just want to negotiate for something with no points while keeping fines and fees as low as possible.

Should you go to court? With your driving record I would suggest that you voluntarily relinquish your license for a period of time. Taking public transportation would afford you the opportunity to reflect upon the fact that you haven't killed anyone yet.
Good luck.
..______________________
~ When they discover the center of the universe,
a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it. ~ Bernard Bailey

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Strange how "...no one was really around...", yet somebody was there to observe you speeding and issue you a ticket. Just sayin' :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">