• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got a move from lane unsafely ticket after falling asleep at the wheel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gcsea

In Upstate New York I received a ticket for moving from lane unsafely after I fell asleep at the wheel late at night and totaled my car by going off the road. A took out two mailboxes during the roll and landed injury free in a ditch. I didn't damage anything but the mailboxes and my car. I talked to the mailbox owners and settled that issue myself. I wasn't under the influence of any substances, just tired from work. This ticket is my first ticket ever and I am just curious if the circumstances in which I got the ticket would effect my ability to get it reduced? I know I'm lucky to be unharmed but I still feel compelled to consult the kind people here for any information I could use.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
What is "Upstate New York"? What one person considers "upstate" might not be what another does. What county?

Every court and every prosecutor is different. There is no way to currently answer your question. If I am familiar with the court I may be able to provide more information.

The factors involved in your infraction might tend to make a prosecutor take a hard line with you, although in general it is worth going to court to try to get the charge reduced.

Back in July there was a case not far from where I am at (Florida) where the driver fell asleep and ended up partially in a retention pond. Part of it was recorded on a traffic cam and shows the car going into the opposite lane narrowly missing a car stopped at the light. The driver got one of the high-profile local lawyers and ended up with a $100 fine and no points. He pleaded no contest to a charge of careless driving. I think this may have been his first offense. I'm sure his legal costs were significant but he could probably afford it since he is also one of the high-profile Jacksonville Jaguars football players...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">