• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got an out of state speeding ticket, forgot to enter a plea

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fff398

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY (Got caught in PA)

Im a 21 year old college student and first speeding ticket

Basically during thanksgiving break, drove back home to NY, got caught clocked 74 mph in a 55 mph zone. Officer told me there was another officer with radar clocking people at a bridge. Officer gave me a break and gave me a ticket saying I was 65 in the 55 zone, but left the 74 in comments. Probably a speed trap, as ~5 other people got flagged down at the same time I did by other cops.

Anyways...on the ticket it said I have 10 days to enter a plea(been over two weeks), and I just found the ticket in my glove compartment over the weekend....tips on what to do? about neglecting to enter a plea? and what to plead?

Also i read somewhere online that PA and NY don't post records out of state, what does that mean specifically? my insurance premiums won't change? no points on my license?

EDIT:forgot to mention this is my parents car, im not officially declared on my parents insurance plan, I myself do not have an insurance plan

Last edited:

The Occultist

Since you did not enter a plea in time, you have already been found guilty. There is nothing more you can do about this, but do note that it is possible there exists some sort of warrant out for you. You need to check in on this, and, if necessary, go turn yourself in (make sure to bring enough money with you to post bail).

You were misinformed about PA and NY not sharing violations; they are both a part of the Non-resident Violator Compact (you can Google this). I do not know how NY will deal with the violation when PA reports it to them, so you need to call your local DMV and ask them.

You Are Guilty

NYS will not assess you any DMV-points on your NY license for an out-of-state conviction (you can google the NYS DMV website if you would like to see the cite).

Your insurance company (or future insurance company if/when you get one) may take the out-of-state conviction into account when determining your rates for 60 months after it is entered.

Maestro64

You have not been found guilty in PA, the system is very slow and you can be late and still enter a not guilty plead, now if you are months past then you have a problem. The fastest and easiest thing to do is take the ticket and payment and your plead to the Magistrate office listed on the ticket and deal with in person, they will allow you some grace period.

Next you are right it was speed trap in PA,

Who wrote the ticket, was it a PA state police officer or some local police. In PA only the state police are allow to use radar. From time to time the PSP will help out locals in stepped up enforcement periods, so the PSP operate the radar and the local writes the ticket.

In this case both officer must show if you choose to contest the ticket, if they do not show then you can get it dismissed if you play your cards right. The courts would like you to believe both are not required. If it was a local operation and you fight the ticket they may offer you a 5 over and no point ticket, but that may not be offered since you are out of state and in spite of PA being part to the Compact mention above, they usually do not report back the home state if you pay. Many time the locals do not report to the state all the ticket they issue and get paid for.

Again if this was joint operation the PSP showing up at the court is very unlikely since this ticket would not go to his conviction rating and they could care less if the local win or not. Knowing this locals tend to try to get you to plead to something lesser since they know if you challenge the fact both officer are not there the magistrate will have to dismiss.

PM me here is you want more information on fighting tickets in PA.

Last edited:

fff398

so how will it affect my parents insurance premiums?

Also where do I go to get it payed in person? The thing is im about a 4 hours drive from the location I was caught, so it'll be very hard to get there in person to the court.

Should I call the magistrate office(google the address on ticket) and get it sorted out?

also is there a way to tell if it was local or PSP on the ticket? All I really remember is that an unmarked cop car pulled me over while it was sitting on the pass to the left side

I plan to deal with this tomorrow...if I am not getting any points in my license and my parents premium isn't going to shoot up, ill pay for the ticket and whatever it costs to unsuspend my license(assuming its suspended)

EDIT:pSP got my looked moreso onto the ticket and I see a PSP OBI number filled in, so I assume its PSP, meaning its gonna be hard to fight

Last edited:

The Occultist

Not a legal question; ask your insurance company.

Also where do I go to get it payed in person? The thing is im about a 4 hours drive from the location I was caught, so it'll be very hard to get there in person to the court.

Should I call the magistrate office(google the address on ticket) and get it sorted out?
That last question there sorta answered the one before it.

Maestro64

also is there a way to tell if it was local or PSP on the ticket? All I really remember is that an unmarked cop car pulled me over while it was sitting on the pass to the left side

I plan to deal with this tomorrow...if I am not getting any points in my license and my parents premium isn't going to shoot up, ill pay for the ticket and whatever it costs to unsuspend my license(assuming its suspended)

EDIT:pSP got my looked moreso onto the ticket and I see a PSP OBI number filled in, so I assume its PSP, meaning its gonna be hard to fight

Well the fact that section is filled in could mean it was the officer operating the Radar unit.

Another interesting question was the officer in the unmarked car in full uniform, in PA unmarked cars are not allowed to be used in traffic enforcement unless the officer is in full uniform and for the PSP that means a hat as well, not that you could win on this it just a way to know if the office who wrote the ticket was PSP, they are pretty good about being in uniform, locals tend to be more sloppy.

here is what PSP looks like

PSP-HEMC

Their uniform is kind of gray verse the blues all the locals tend to wear, If it was PSP who actually wrote your ticket, it going to be a lot harder to fight since they tend to be very good and do not make many mistakes.

Last edited:

fff398

checked the PSP traffic citation docket, said it was PSP

also when he pulled me over, lack of hat and he had some overall of some sort that said officer in big white letters He had everything else shown in the picture

Even though he wasn't of proper attire, I have no proof of that and his word is better than mine

Gave them a call, maestro is right, they haven't processed it yet and I can still submit a plea. Clerk is leaving a note on my case that I called and I have some more time to submit my plea.

Though it does not look like I'll be able to win easily

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">