• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got pulled over ON MY BIKE in Minnesota

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randallp10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I was riding my bicycle on Pleasant St. SE, which is on the University of Minnesota campus, on the night of October 17, 2011 at 8:20 p.m. I came to the intersection of Pleasant St and Arlington St. The traffic light turned from green to red so I proceeded to stop on the curb while still on my bicycle. On my side on the street, I was the only biker while on the other side there were three individuals on bicycles. When the light changed on Pleasant St. SE, no cars proceeded to come from the opposite street, Arlington St, where the light was now green. During the entire duration of the light, there were no cars, no buses, no bikes, and no pedestrians that proceeded through the light at any time on Arlington St. Next, the walk signal on Pleasant St. SE turned from “do not walk” to “walk.” I was able to see that the other individuals on bicycles across the street had started to move through the intersection at a low speed. I decided that since the walk signal was showing that I would slowly walk my bike with my feet (while still in riding position) and eventually slowly pedal my bike just inches from the empty pedestrian walkway. There were no pedestrians waiting to cross the street. I was the only one on the entire side of the street. I proceeded at a speed that did not exceed three miles per hour. To prove a point, I could have walked my bike across the street at the same speed at which I pedaled/walked across it. Once I was completely through the empty intersection I picked up my speed to a normal cycling pace. I then saw police lights flashing because I saw the reflection off the cars that were next to me. Next, the officer proceeded to say “Man on the bicycle, pull over.” I obliged and the officer got out of his car. The officer took my identification and came back out of his car with a citation. I must point out that I felt like the officer was very edgy and did not act in a very respectful way. I felt like he was talking down to me and that I was a huge inconvenience to him. He even stopped to talk to another citizen who drove by in his car asking for directions instead of talking to me.

Even after taking an excessive five months to reflect on this incident, I do not understand the reason that the officer felt the need to pull me over on my bicycle. I received a fine for almost $170 dollars for going no more than three miles an hour through a walk signal next to the pedestrian walkway on my bicycle. Why a $170 dollar fine is necessary or acceptable for someone of my supposed “violation” is beyond me. That dollar amount is given to reckless, fast driving on the interstate or to someone else of a deserving violation. Never in my life have I received a citation of any kind other than one insignificant parking ticket. I am a law-abiding citizen that poses no harm to society. There was no possibility to have even had the opportunity to cause societal harm in this instance where I was pulled over on my bicycle since there was nothing to get in the way of. I felt that because the individuals across the street proceeded through the intersection that it justified me to go through on my side as well since there was a walk signal. I feel like there are much more serious cases that should require the duty of the officer that pulled me over.

1. Do I have a case for a violation of my right to a speedy trial since it has been 5 months since the incident?
2. Is it reasonable for me to plead not-guilty?
3. What are the chances of my violation being dropped?

My court hearing is in 3 days. Thanks for any help or input.

xylene

Go to court and plead not guilty.

Don't explain what you did or why you believe the fine is too high.

Any number of things could happen and you might be found not guilty or the case dropped.

CdwJava

What code section were you cited for violation? And if not a state statute, what city are you in?

Speedy trial rights do not generally apply until after the arraignment. If the first court date is coming up in three days, this is not an issue.

And, aside from the citation not being filed, I suspect the odds of the matter being "dropped" are slim to none. Now, the question of whether or not you can prevail is a different matter and that might be possible. But, that will depend on what code section you were cited for and whether the officer can successfully articulate at trial that you met all the elements of the offense.

randallp10

I still have the original citation

It reads:

No. 1 Offense: Fail to obey red light

Statute/ord.: 169.0655

State Patrol Code: C1

By the way, I don't see anywhere where it actually says the amount of the fine. Where do I find that?

asiny

I felt that because the individuals across the street proceeded through the intersection that it justified me to go through on my side as well since there was a walk signal.
If you witnessed individuals looting- would you feel justified to loot? Of course not.
I feel like there are much more serious cases that should require the duty of the officer that pulled me over.
It does not matter what you feel is, or is not, more important. The officer was doing his job within the course of his duties- had the officer had a call about a robbery, theft or some other 'serious case' at the same time, he probably would not have stopped you.
You performed a violation- he witnessed you perform a violation- he issued you a citation for the violation.
1. Do I have a case for a violation of my right to a speedy trial since it has been 5 months since the incident?

If the ticket had a date- 5 months from date of issuing- you could have requested an earlier trial. Regardless, no. You have not had your rights violated.
2. Is it reasonable for me to plead not-guilty?
No. You were seated on your bike and went through a red light at an intersection- you violated a traffic control device.
The correct procedure should have been, exactly, what you explained- got off the bike and walked it across the cross-walk.
3. What are the chances of my violation being dropped?
Speak to the prosecutor- if there is one- when you get to court.
By the way, I don't see anywhere where it actually says the amount of the fine. Where do I find that?
Where did you find out the cost of the ticket at $170?
Usually many tickets don't have the cost of the violation on them- many of them give a phone number or website to get the cost of the violation.

tranquility

I agree the problem was sitting on the bike while walking. That makes it a vehicle and you not a pedestrian.

All you can say to the court is that you were trying to be safe and didn't think you violated any law. They may have to prove up you're a vehicle and, if I were to fight this, I might look up the definition of a vehicle/driver to see if there are any wiggle words which might convince the judge that what you did was not strictly against the law and was done in a safe manner.

ecmst12

The MORE appropriate action would have been to wait until the light was green and then ride across the intersection.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What information are you looking for here? It was just a regular Minneapolis Police Department officer.
I would like to know where the officer was when he observed your violation. You claim there was no traffic around, yet he observed the violation. That means that HE was there, somewhere. Was he behind you? (If he was, his car would have triggered the signal if you had been more patient.) Was he on the cross-street? (If so, your action wouldn't have been excusable because of an "unchanging red light".) Without that information, your question about the "unchanging red light" rule cannot be answered.

randallp10

The officer was behind me at some distance that I do not know but far enough away for me not to notice. I was waiting at the light for an excessive amount of time before he would have shown up. Not to mention that I would have heard his car running behind me if he were the one to trip the sensor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">