• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got a red light ticket in the wee hours, can it be fought?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

opulence8

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

So I'm coming off a freeway ramp at 2am in the morning and the traffic light is abnormally green for an extended period of time, I slow down expecting it to turn red before I get there but nah, still green, so as I get to the intersection to make a left turn, a cop pulls up all fast to to the right of me going the opposite direction that I am turning and you guessed it, the light turns yellow as I enter the intersection, nobody else is around to trip the traffic control sensor mind you. I am a good 20 car lengths away from the intersection when I notice he busts a U turn and pulls me over. After shining his spotlight in my vehicle for a good 3 minutes, he seems like he is in a rush as he runs up, asks for my license, tells me the light he says I ran was red and shuffles back to his squad car. About 10 minutes later, out he comes with a $224 citation for disregarding traffic control device (GA 40-6-20) and in the remarks section of the ticket it says red light violation. Is there anyway I can get this dismissed? After researching his name on the internet I see he has been on the force for 10 years so I doubt my saying that the light was as yellow as the sun against him saying that he thought it was red will hold any weight. I dont want to plea to a lesser charge and still pay court costs for something I did not do. Several lawyers tell me that red light tickets are pretty much how cops get their departments easy money because the cops burden of proof is much lower than the person they pull over. Can they really get away with wrongly giving me this ticket or is there anything I can do?

Thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

The Occultist

It's possible to beat this ticket, but not without the aid of a traffic attorney.

A local attorney knows best what the courts want to hear, and as such present the highest potential for yielding the most favorable results. Many attorneys will offer a free/cheap consultation, so you should take advantage of this and sit down with a couple to see what insight they may have to offer.

opulence8

It's possible to beat this ticket, but not without the aid of a traffic attorney.

A local attorney knows best what the courts want to hear, and as such present the highest potential for yielding the most favorable results. Many attorneys will offer a free/cheap consultation, so you should take advantage of this and sit down with a couple to see what insight they may have to offer.
I appreciate the advice, so I guess basically Ill have to spend money either way to get this resolved?

Roo

I appreciate the advice, so I guess basically Ill have to spend money either way to get this resolved?
Yes, but the money spent on an attorney is a better ROI than just handing it over to the police.
An attorney can probably get it reduced to a non-moving, so you'll save money on insurance in the long run, even though the up front cost may be higher than pleading guilty and paying the fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">