• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got a seat belt ticket but I was wearing my seat belt...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shai NY

NYC

MY shoulder strap was not on (belt was under my elbow because it was annoying me). How can I fight this?

My cousin was with me and he can be a witness although he's not in the state right now (or any time soon). He can tape record himself and send it to me or something.

But other than that (if that would even help), how do i fight this? The cop told me even if I'm telling the truth (he didn't believe me), I wasn't wearing it properly, and thus was against the law.

seniorjudge

The cop told me even if I'm telling the truth (he didn't believe me), I wasn't wearing it properly, and thus was against the law.

What statute number are you charged under?

Do you have any reason to disbelieve the cop?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
NYC

MY shoulder strap was not on (belt was under my elbow because it was annoying me). How can I fight this?

My cousin was with me and he can be a witness although he's not in the state right now (or any time soon). He can tape record himself and send it to me or something.

But other than that (if that would even help), how do i fight this? The cop told me even if I'm telling the truth (he didn't believe me), I wasn't wearing it properly, and thus was against the law.
You were not properly wearing your seatbelt. What is your defense?

Shai NY

The cop told me even if I'm telling the truth (he didn't believe me), I wasn't wearing it properly, and thus was against the law.

What statute number are you charged under?

Do you have any reason to disbelieve the cop?
Whats a statute number?

Yes, I feel he just wanted to give me a ticket. He was being a complete jerk about it too.

Shai NY

You were not properly wearing your seatbelt. What is your defense?
I was still wearing it. I don't think I should get a ticket for placing the shoulder strap underneath my elbow but I don't know what the law states. That's why I'm here.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was still wearing it. I don't think I should get a ticket for placing the shoulder strap underneath my elbow but I don't know what the law states. That's why I'm here.
You were not wearing it PROPERLY. I happen to think that you SHOULD get a ticket for placing the strap under your elbow. But, what you or I think doesn't matter. It's what the LAW says. Conveniently enough, the law says you must wear your seatbelt properly.

I_Got_Banned

The "shoulder" strap should be worn over the "shoulder". That's why its called a "shoulder" strap.
Otherwise, it would be refered to as an "under the elbow" strap.

Conclusion: you were not wearing your seatbelt properly. Therefore you deserve a ticket!

seniorjudge

In violation of: TRINSF 1229C3A

Is that it?
Vehicle & Traffic Law - Section 1229-c

3. No person shall operate a motor vehicle unless such person is restrained by a safety belt approved by the commissioner. No person sixteen years of age or over shall be a passenger in the front seat of a motor vehicle unless such person is restrained by a safety belt approved by the commissioner.

Read the whole thing at the link.

You were not wearing a safety belt (according to your post).

HomeGuru

NYC

**A: it appears that you're guilty.

Shai NY

Vehicle & Traffic Law - Section 1229-c

3. No person shall operate a motor vehicle unless such person is restrained by a safety belt approved by the commissioner. No person sixteen years of age or over shall be a passenger in the front seat of a motor vehicle unless such person is restrained by a safety belt approved by the commissioner.

Read the whole thing at the link.

You were not wearing a safety belt (according to your post).
Damn it. Thank you for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">