• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got a speeding ticket, feel like I got screwed.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smedlock86

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Seven months ago I received a speeding ticket for going 83 in a 60 zone. Ever since the date of my original court hearing, I have asked for continuances because I simply could not afford to pay for the ticket at the time. I finally got the matter settled two weeks ago, but I feel like I was screwed. This makes my second speeding ticket; the first ticket was for going 69 in a 60 zone, nothing major. Anyways, back to my last ticket. At the court hearing, they would not reduce it, and 5 days later I received a letter in the mail saying they are revoking my license for 6 months. I was outraged from learning of this, so I hired a lawyer and he was able to prevent my license from being revoked, but my license would have restrictions (allowed only to drive to and from school & work). It was progress but I still feel this is rediculous because I have a friend who's received at least 4 speeding tickets in a time frame of 3 years, and one of them was for going 60mph over the posted speed limit, and that ticket was reduced and he has no driving restrictions. I admit, I am definitely guilty for speeding, but I like to consider myself a logical thinker and I do not believe these restrictions are justified; if I did believe the restrictions were justified, I would admit it. But people get speeding tickets all the time, with a very bad driving record (for example, like my friend that I mentioned before), and are still able to drive, which is why I am complaining. I also feel this is unfair because I have very little knowledge of the traffic laws and received no advice from legal council before I was convicted, so I had no idea what to do or say in court. Now to the questions:

1) Would there be any way I could make an appeal to the DMV, or to an assistant district attorney?

2) Could I suggest to the court to go to driving school to prevent these restrictions?

3) Could I obtain a license in another state without it having restrictions, or are all states 'connected' so to speak?

4) Are there any other things I could possibly do to prevent this?

All help is appreciated. Thanks.

seniorjudge

smedlock86 said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Seven months ago I received a speeding ticket for going 83 in a 60 zone. Ever since the date of my original court hearing, I have asked for continuances because I simply could not afford to pay for the ticket at the time. I finally got the matter settled two weeks ago, but I feel like I was screwed. This makes my second speeding ticket; the first ticket was for going 69 in a 60 zone, nothing major. Anyways, back to my last ticket. At the court hearing, they would not reduce it, and 5 days later I received a letter in the mail saying they are revoking my license for 6 months. I was outraged from learning of this, so I hired a lawyer and he was able to prevent my license from being revoked, but my license would have restrictions (allowed only to drive to and from school & work). It was progress but I still feel this is rediculous because I have a friend who's received at least 4 speeding tickets in a time frame of 3 years, and one of them was for going 60mph over the posted speed limit, and that ticket was reduced and he has no driving restrictions. I admit, I am definitely guilty for speeding, but I like to consider myself a logical thinker and I do not believe these restrictions are justified; if I did believe the restrictions were justified, I would admit it. But people get speeding tickets all the time, with a very bad driving record (for example, like my friend that I mentioned before), and are still able to drive, which is why I am complaining. I also feel this is unfair because I have very little knowledge of the traffic laws and received no advice from legal council before I was convicted, so I had no idea what to do or say in court. Now to the questions:

1) Would there be any way I could make an appeal to the DMV, or to an assistant district attorney?

2) Could I suggest to the court to go to driving school to prevent these restrictions?

3) Could I obtain a license in another state without it having restrictions, or are all states 'connected' so to speak?

4) Are there any other things I could possibly do to prevent this?

All help is appreciated. Thanks.

triple post

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=318456

smedlock86

My mistake, my connection is running slow so I hit 'post' more than once, so I'm guessing thats why this thread was posted more than once. I apologize.

fairisfair

smedlock86 said:
Thank you for the educated reply.
And thank you for the educated activity behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. My rapier wit, while sharp, is not deadly, you on the other hand are manslaughter waiting to happen

smedlock86

Don't be an *******. I made a mistake 7 months ago, millions of people do it every day and I'm sure you're not some beacon of light behind the wheel

I made a mistake, and now I'm dealing with it. You have been no help

fairisfair

smedlock86 said:
Don't be an *******. I made a mistake 7 months ago, millions of people do it every day and I'm sure you're not some beacon of light behind the wheel

I made a mistake, and now I'm dealing with it. You have been no help
Good, it is not now, and has never been, my intention to help you and your speeder friends, all "millions of them" get out of tickets. You made a mistake and now you are looking for excuses, trying to get out of it, and crying about the consequences. That is quite different than taking responsibility for your careless actions and does not in any way constitute "dealing with it". Keep it up, maybe the next time will involve a little jail time, and then you really will feel like you have "been screwed".

smedlock86

fairisfair said:
Good, it is not now, and has never been, my intention to help you and your speeder friends, all "millions of them" get out of tickets. You made a mistake and now you are looking for excuses, trying to get out of it, and crying about the consequences. That is quite different than taking responsibility for your careless actions and does not in any way constitute "dealing with it". Keep it up, maybe the next time will involve a little jail time, and then you really will feel like you have "been screwed".
One day I hope one of my speeder friends is doing 83 in a 60, loses control and hits you head on, in turn breaking your neck causing you to be a paralyzed for life.

And yes, I'm crying. It makes me feel better.

smedlock86 said:
One day I hope one of my speeder friends is doing 83 in a 60, loses control and hits you head on, in turn breaking your neck causing you to be a paralyzed for life. And yes, I'm crying. It makes me feel better.
Sympathy is extremely hard to come by on this board, Smedlock, and I'm betting you'll be last on the list of those inclined to get any of it. When you deserve a ticket, and get one, the road to salvation and resolving the mental disturbance resultant is a long long way from where you are. Get that attitude fixed, or you'll likely find yourself crying on the shoulder of a cellmate.

smedlock86

poppakeith said:
Sympathy is extremely hard to come by on this board, Smedlock, and I'm betting you'll be last on the list of those inclined to get any of it. When you deserve a ticket, and get one, the road to salvation and resolving the mental disturbance resultant is a long long way from where you are. Get that attitude fixed, or you'll likely find yourself crying on the shoulder of a cellmate.
Oh, you mean the attitude that was unleashed after fairisfair's smart remarks? Oh, I understand now.

In case you didn't notice, this is a LEGAL ADVICE message board, where people with legal problems post their situations for the purpose of getting HELP. Obviously you have misunderstood the whole concept of this forum.

gawm

smedlock86 said:
One day I hope one of my speeder friends is doing 83 in a 60, loses control and hits you head on, in turn breaking your neck causing you to be a paralyzed for life
Oh...that's not a very nice thing to say, is it? Have you ever heard of Karma? How do you know none of your multiple ticketed friends don't have any restrictions? It really doesn't matter, what matters is that you do! Could be worst, could of lost your license for six months. If you think you feel screwed now, just wait until your insurance co. finds out about this!:eek:

Last edited:

AHA

smedlock86 said:
One day I hope one of my speeder friends is doing 83 in a 60, loses control and hits you head on, in turn breaking your neck causing you to be a paralyzed for life.

And yes, I'm crying. It makes me feel better.
How old are you, because you act like you're a 12 year old girl in pigtails bawling her eyes out??! Nothing to be proud of.

smedlock86

AHA said:
How old are you, because you act like you're a 12 year old girl in pigtails bawling her eyes out??! Nothing to be proud of.
Actually I am a 12 year old girl, but I don't wear pigtails

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, they got me with underage driving too

****ing clown.

AHA

smedlock86 said:
Actually I am a 12 year old girl, but I don't wear pigtails

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, they got me with underage driving too

****ing clown.
Have a nice life being a loser :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">