• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got Speeding ticket, fine goes against Highway traffic act

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EOleson

Hey everyone. I know this is primarily for the states, but I'm from Canada.. hope that won't be a problem as this is pretty straight forward situation.

So I got caught speeding 145km/h in a 100km/h zone, I already went to the court and pleaded guilty with an explanation but they didn't accept my explanation and gave me 6 months to pay the fine. And now that I'm looking at the highway traffic act in Manitoba it says:

"238(2) Any person who contravenes or fails to comply with subsection 95(1), section 96, or subsection 98(5) or (7), is guilty of an offence and liable, on summary conviction, to a fine of not more than $7.70 for each kilometre per hour that the vehicle was driven over the maximum speed permissible at the place where the offence was committed."

Where section 95(1)(b) is what I violated being:

Speed limit in particular cases
95(1) Subject to subsections 98(1) to (5), no person shall drive a vehicle at a rate of speed greater than
(b) the maximum speed permissible at any other place as designated by signs erected as herein required or authorized

So by that I should have got fined 346.50$, but the ticket has me fined for 448.50$. Is there some way I can get the "legitimate" fine? :confused:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
US Law Only. This is a perfect example. We don't HAVE a "Highway Traffic Act" :rolleyes:

Maestro64

I am betting that Canada and its local governments are no different than the US. The fine for the violation is not that much, but over the years they tacked on all these addition fees, like court fees and processing fees to bring in extra cash. So you need to look at that part, you still may only have paid the right fine, but they added in extra fees which there is probably other laws that allowed that.

EOleson

Thanks for the replies. Yaaaaa I know this is for American cases, but I couldn't find a forum for Canadian Law lol so I thought i'd give it a chance. I'll look in to the other fees though.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for the replies. Yaaaaa I know this is for American cases, but I couldn't find a forum for Canadian Law lol so I thought i'd give it a chance. I'll look in to the other fees though.
Try this link:

http://tinyurl.com/yd52f2a

EOleson

Hahahaha /owned. Thanks. I still don't think that the Canadian forums are as good as this one though. Anyway, I'll take my business elsewhere. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">