• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got Ticket: Avoiding Traffic Control Signal in NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DanKenny

What is the name of your state? NJ

Hi,

I recently moved from PA (philadelphia) to South Jersey.

About 4 days ago, I was coming down on Evesham street, and took a short-cut through a parking lot. I didn't notice there was any sign or law forbidding that - though I hear there is one there.

I drove up to my drive-way and was about to step out of my car when I realized a cop had pull up behind me on my driveway. He asked me to remain inside my vehicle , which I did.

He then went on to explain that I had violated the law (39:4-66.2) by "Avoiding Traffic Control Signal or Sign" and gave me a ticket.

I intend to fight it or at least plea bargain.

-- Is it possible to get any defence for this?

-- I thought the cop is supposed to stop me at the time of the incident and give me a ticket....is it legal for him to follow me to my door step and hand me a conviction?

-- what would be the implication of this ticket when I get my NJ license? Would the record transfer over from PA or would it remain in NJ and catch up with me once I get a license here?

Thanks in advance -- Dan

FlyingRon

Ignorance of the law isn't an excuse.
You admitted your guilt here. Taking such short cuts through parking lots is illegal.
Plea bargain for what? It's already the bottom of the moving violations.
Pennsylvania won't even give you points for this out of state violation.

No he doesn't have to stop you right away.

You shouldn't have problems with a NJ license as long as you either pay your fine or go to court.

Hey There

Information To Help You Decide What To Do

12-19=07

Dan Kenny

39:4-66.2 Driving on public or private property to avoid a traffic sign or signal .
In your post you stated that you drove through the parking lot as a short-cut. You didn't say that you used the parking lot to avoid a traffic sign.
In fact you state that when you entered the parking lot there was no sign to indicate that it was illegal to drive through the parking lot.
A picture of the parking lot where you drove in should verify that
there was no sign at the place you entered the parking lot. If a sign is placed elsewhere in the parking lot what does the sign say?

In a book published by NOLO on traffic tickets it advises a cited driver to read the violation he was charged with, phrase by phrase ,
to determine if a violation really occurred. This book also provides the driver with information on how to prepare for trial.

By going to Google and typing in Plea bargaining on a speeding ticket
a website will appear --(Speeding Ticket -- Fighting or Plea Bargaining.)
While this website gives extensive information on how to fight a speeding ticket it ALSO gives instructions on how to prepare for trial
and a driver's rights when he is cited for a traffic violation.

I haven't found any N.J. law on the internet that states it's illegal to drive through a parking lot, only that it is illegal to do so IF the driver's purpose is to avoid a stop sign or signal.

2 points is the penalty for this violation if found guilty.
Flying Ron answered your Question on how a conviction of this traffic violation would affect your PA. driver's licence and the likely effect on your future N.J. licence as long as you pay the fine or go to court.

Best Regards,
Hey There

Last edited:

DanKenny

Thanks very much for all the responses. I have gone around the parking lot twice and see no notice there prohibiting using it as a shortcut. I will go and take pictures of the setting and read the Nolo publishers book for my defense.

warmest regards, DanKenny

Ozark_Sophist

You have no defense. Pictures will not help. There is no need for a sign.

Taking a short cut through a parking lot is dangerous.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">