• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

got a ticket for making a right hand turn from the right hand lane

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bagged123

What is the name of your state? money hungry CT

Ok, I got a ticker for making a right hand turn from the right hand lane. YES
I turned the corner at an intersection from the right lane, it was a light at the intersection, I stopped and proceeding to move on with my turn. I did and about a 30 other cars did it as well. Nothing is posted on this intersection about not using the shoulder for making a turn. How the intersection is setup as this;

3 lanes, 1 - for left turns, 1 - for going straight 1- for right hand turns. the cop claimed my wheels touched the dirt when making the turn. he also stated that using the far right hand land is prohibited for turning right. (go figure) Now to my point.

As I got pulled over he came to my truck asking license, reg, and ins card. I provided him all of the above and he noticed that my ins card was out of date. I asked him if I could do print one out and show him I have current coverage he said no, but what he did do was 'call' the number on my card to confirm I had coverage, but i still got a $233 ticket for it. So my question is, Is there a time frame that I have to prove I have coverage? he called my insurance company and they told him i as covered, etc.?

Also, as I was pulled over this cop let about 20 or so cars go that did the samething that I did, even a cop did what I did. The cop did pull cars over but gave them warnings only, he let all the woman over got with just a warning. how do I know that, As soon as he pulled them over he went to their window and said (don't do that again) and they drove off.
Now my wife and kids were in the car with me and starting asking why did he let those people go but pulled us over and his answer was 'be quiet before I arrest you." now this moron said this to me and my kids for asking a question. Which I have a right to.

So if nothing is stated about right hand turns, when did using the far right hand lane become illegal to make right turns?

Maestro64

First and foremost, many people here will point out there is no law or rule that requires the police to ticket anyone or everyone who happen to violate some arbitrary road rule. If you even attempt to say the officer let everyone else go and only ticketed you and it was selective enforcement it will not hold. They do not care unless you can show the officer had some predetermine prejudgist against you ahead of time.

From your description it sound like he is claiming you left the road and actually drove on the shoulder or berm of the road. There are rules about driving on the shoulder of the road even to make a turn. If that is not the case go back and take pictures of the area and show exactly that you did and others did.

On the insurance information, you have to see what your state requirements are, see if you're required to carry it all the time or just have to show proof of insurance. Depending on what your states requirements are will dictate whether this is valid ticket or not.

On the officer making threats to you kids, I would file a formal complaint with his department for making threats to your children about false imprisonment. Some will try and tell that you can not do this, but that is wrong, the officer can not legally make threats like this.

Keep in mind the last item most likely will not help your case if the department choose to ignore your complain, it will just piss the officer off.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
On the officer making threats to you kids, I would file a formal complaint with his department for making threats to your children about false imprisonment. Some will try and tell that you can not do this, but that is wrong, the officer can not legally make threats like this.
Hrmm, a car full of screaming kids - a screaming wife...all while the officer is trying to do his job, sounds like a good case to threaten (a proper) arrest for obstruction of justice.
I bet they shut up ;)

bagged123

Hrmm, a car full of screaming kids - a screaming wife...all while the officer is trying to do his job, sounds like a good case to threaten (a proper) arrest for obstruction of justice.
I bet they shut up

obstruction of justice of what? Askign questions? Not a chance. With having cops in my family (in a different state) they both said that what the cop did with the arrest threat was uncalled for and not needed. It was just someone playing a power play behind the badge.

xylene

You recieved two tickets right?

One is for not having a valid insurance card.

That ticket is totally legit. You have to carry proof of insurance. You need to appreciate that the officer cut you a HUGE break by calling to validate your coverage. If he had been so inclined he could have ticketed you and had your car towed and impounded until you produced a VALID (not expired) insurance card.

You may be able to submit proof to the court and have it dismissed.

Second

I do not understand the ticket for the turn. Your description is horribly confusing, and you don't even specify the infraction.

What exactly were you cited for? (IE the Violation and Code Number.)

You might be indignant about your family being told to shut up under pain of arrest, but the officer has a job to do. Next time make sure your anyone riding in your car understands that the rule is "If pulled over you speak only when spoken to." Your wife has NO STANDING to be talking to the officer or questioning the officers actions in any way. The people who needed to be put in their place are not the officers, but your family.

Maestro64

You might be indignant about your family being told to shut up under pain of arrest, but the officer has a job to do. Next time make sure your anyone riding in your car understands that the rule is "If pulled over you speak only when spoken to." Your wife has NO STANDING to be talking to the officer or questioning the officers actions in any way. The people who needed to be put in their place are not the officers, but your family.
Can you please cite the law or rule that say a person has no right to question an officer about the infractions they are alleged to have commit, or better yet the one that clearly state "If pulled over you speak only when spoken to."

I believe every person in the the US has right to question authority and ask what they are allegedly being accused of doing.

If you do not believe that the citizen of this country have that right I'll share a video of an officer who is now in serious trouble because he began to berate a person and threaten them with arrest simple because he asked the officer why he was being stopped.

Last edited:

xylene

Can you please cite the law or rule that say a person has no right to question an officer about the infractions they are alleged to have commit, or better yet the one that clearly state "If pulled over you speak only when spoken to."
Common sense is not written law... :rolleyes:

You the driver are the only one who should be talking. Wifey and kids need to zip it.

You should only speak when spoken to, because that how you defend a ticket. By not making any ADMISSIONS to the officer.

That thing, the Miranda warning. Its not just a plot device in TV. Its the police telling you "We have to let you know that you would be better served BY NOT TALKING."

I believe every person in the the US has right to question authority and ask what they are allegedly being accused of doing.
Your WIFE was not accused of anything. She was interfering with the officers investigation of YOU. Hurt pride is not a tort. It will not form any aspect of your defense.

If you do not believe that the citizen of this country have that right I'll share a video of an officer who is now in serious trouble because the began to berate a person and threaten them with arrest simple because he asked the officer why he was being stopped.
You don't get it. The court doesn't care. If the officer did something wrong (I firmly believe that from what you described he DID NOT) it will not change your ticket.

I offered you facts about your insurance card ticket. You may be able to get dismissal. Bring proof to court.

I asked you what you were violated for on the turn. The violation will be on the ticket. This is so I can look up the exact elements required of the violation. IE the only real basis for defense you have.

Maestro64

Ask this officer if he had right to threaten this kid during traffic stop because he asked a question.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/EF3667C80165B68086257353001498DC?OpenDocument

I know the kid and formal charges are being made against this officer right now by the St Louis DA because of the threats this officer made against this kid for simply asking why he was stopped.

I agree it makes good sense to keep you month shut during a traffic stop, But I ask questions all the time of the officer when I got stop, I am collecting evidence in the defense, I'll use his words against him. Personally, everyone officer I have ever encounter never had a problem answering a questions or even talking about what I did. I never admitted anything and I fought 2 won 2 and the others I just paid because I realized I was wrong. The two I won the officer gave me the information that helped me win.

By the way, if you missed the above in the news which hit all the major networks nation wide, all the legal experts said the kid did absolutely nothing wrong and he has ever right to question why we has being pulled over and that officer has no right to make threats.

Plan an simple, whether the wife or the kids asked a question it is your right to ask since they were in the car the they too were being detained. If you do not believe that to be valid then look up a recent supreme court case where they said the police have no right to detain, question or search passenger of a car due to a simple traffic stop due to the actions of the driver.

I am talking about peoples right not what police has scared everyone into thinking are their rights. So if you think an officer violated your rights file a complaint, some of these officer think they do what ever they want without recourse.

Ozark_Sophist

The kid in the video did violate the law. Although he turned his turn signal on, it was after he started making the turn. He swerved after passing the cop. The kid goes around and tries to antagonize cops with the intent of getting attention like he has. I'm not denying the cop was an idiot, but one day the kid is going to want cops to help him and they might be a little slow in responding or tend to believe the other guy.

In your case, was there a dedicated, marked right turn lane? It sounds if you passed on the right to reach the intersection and then made the turn. Valid ticket.

kdhohio

xylene...you have the right to remain silent. I love how you are begging him for the code so you can nicely and accurately help him and he is more intersted in the officer telling his wife to shut up.

xylene

By the way, if you missed the above in the news which hit all the major networks nation wide, all the legal experts said the kid did absolutely nothing wrong and he has ever right to question why we has being pulled over and that officer has no right to make threats.
I didn't read in the article anything about the wife in the car interfering with the police investiagtion.

In the the story presented in this thread, the wife and kids were WARNED (not threatened) that they could be arrested if they continued to interfere with the driver.

They were not arrested and they were not charged, nor threatened with fabricated charges. All of which shows that the example of terrible policing you present is in no way parallel to the situation in this thread's stop.

Lastly even if the officers conduct was improper, it does not on its face invalidate or provide a defense to a ticket.

JustAPal00

Can you please cite the law or rule that say a person has no right to question an officer about the infractions they are alleged to have commit,
Your wife didn't commit an infraction. She had no right to question the officer, you did. The next time you see someone pulled over stop and ask the cop questions about why he pulled him over. Bet you get the same response! Your wife and kids should have sat there with they're mouths shut until the stop was over. Then if you decided to fight the ticket, they can go to court with you and talk all they want.

Maestro64

Xylene - this guy's a pepe wanabe - don't worry about him ;)
and you're an officer wanabee and never offer any useful information other then to tell people to pay their ticket and suck it up. Sounds like of like you have a vested interest in seeing people pay their tickets. I think you should make a full disclosure on your background since it seems pretty biased.

If you know so much why not offer some useful advice and tell people what their options are and what they need to do to prove their case if in fact they have a valid case and stop assuming ever ticket is valid and ever person if not guilt of that infraction is obviously guilty of something else.

I like giving people their options and let them decide what is best for them. Because if they are coming here to ask a question, they obviously feel they didn't do what they are being cited for.

So what is your record of fighting tickets and winning or do you base your opinions on you know best in ever situation.

It easy to be negative and condemning and telling them they have no chance. I guess you are right in one regard the traffic courts in the this country are many times staffed with people with an average of a high school degree with no requirement for them to understand the laws, and will step on your rights every time. If you let them and do not hold them accountable, you will loose since they are not looking to up hold right from wrong and keep encouraging the people writing bad tickets since they are not held accountable either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">