• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got a ticket for running red light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Prof100

I am from Michigan.

I got a ticket for running a red light. The officer was sitting 4 houses east of the traffic light. Traffic was early morning rush hour and bumper to bumper. I was last in the line of cars that went through the light.

Time was 8AM.

The sky was clear and the sun was blindingly bright as I headed east and it shone right into the windshield. It's that time of the year when sun blinds you as you head east on the road. It is that time of the year when sunglasses are on and visor is flipped.

So the visor was down, speed was about 25 mph or less. I approached the light with caution, with the visor down my eye portl was reduced to looking straight ahead not above at a signal that's centered over the intersection. The light was green when I approached but with the visor down and the bright sun it must have turned yellow, then red faster than I imagined. At worse, I thought I may have went through a yellow when the officer pulled me over. The traffic slowed down going through the intersection which is probably due to seeing the police office sitting in a residential driveway. That's not a normal event in this area. The officer could not see the traffic light on the west side when I approached. He was only sighted to the signal on his side or east side of the intersection. Without the sun blinding him he was able to look to the west and watch the cars pass under the traffic signal.

QUESTION -- Does the fact that the officer did not see my side of the light make any difference in writing up a citation? That is, does the Police Office have to see the actual light that you were supposed to have violated or can he infer it from a bulb on the other side? The lights may not have been synched. Am I "whistlng Dixie" on this one and simply need to pay the fine or should I contest it because the officer did NOT see the actual light I was cited for running? Thanks for your comments and critque.

I am not a chronic violator of traffic lights and my record is clean. I am just a humble business person commuting to work in rush hour traffic.

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Last edited:

racer72

Go to the government department that controls that particular light and ask for a copy of the signal log. It will give the timing and sync for all the lights at that particular intersection. That will answer your question. If both east and westbound lights are synced to operate in tandem, your goose is cooked.

Prof100

Go to the government department that controls that particular light and ask for a copy of the signal log. It will give the timing and sync for all the lights at that particular intersection. That will answer your question. If both east and westbound lights are synced to operate in tandem, your goose is cooked.
It is a simple intersection with one large signal light. I sure would hope that both sides are sycnhed otherwise they'd be some interesting crashes at that intersection.

I guess I will have to start whistling and break out my check book. I can go to a hearing and explain the conditions (bright sun, eye port cut down due visor, Traffic light high overhea (none on the far side of street), Police officer impeding traffic by his presence in a driveway causing gawking and a slow down, etc.)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I guess I will have to start whistling and break out my check book. I can go to a hearing and explain the conditions (bright sun, eye port cut down due visor, Traffic light high overhea (none on the far side of street),
Yes, please be sure to explain how you placed an object in your line of sight, causing you not to be able to see.

Police officer impeding traffic by his presence in a driveway causing gawking and a slow down, etc.)
Don't even go there - the mere presence of a police officer does NOT impede traffic.

Prof100

You're kidding, right?

Yes, please be sure to explain how you placed an object in your line of sight, causing you not to be able to see.

Funny!! I like your wit. Then I gues all sun visors should be banned since they, by their inherent design, obstruct your line of sight.

Don't even go there - the mere presence of a police officer does NOT impede traffic.
Do you dirve at all or are you just kidding? I can't believe you said that an officer sitting in residential driveway or for that matter, on the side of the road doesn't impede traffic.

Last edited:

Prof100

Signal Log

Thanks for the information. I have requested from the county FOIA officer a copy of the signal log and calibration record for the lights at that intersections.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Do you dirve at all or are you just kidding? I can't believe you said that an officer sitting in residential driveway or for that matter, on the side of the road doesn't impede traffic.
I drive in Los Angeles, Riverside and Orange Counties - I am not kidding. But, then again, I don't worry about things like running red lights :cool:

Prof100

I drive in Los Angeles, Riverside and Orange Counties - I am not kidding. But, then again, I don't worry about things like running red lights :cool:
My experience in LA and traffic lights was to conclude traffic lights are simply "guidelines." The worse place I have ever been to is Mexico City. Traffic lights are merely "suggestions."

Last edited:

Prof100

Another person pulled over today

I went through the same intersection today at the same time and the person BEHIND me got pulled over for the same infraction by a policeman sitting in the same location as I described in my initial post. That poor son of gun gets three points and fine of $115 for his/her morning commute. I haven't used that route work since getting my ticket back on the 13th of October.

I guess the technical term for this situation is that this area is a "high enforcement zone" or a more cycnical view would consider it as a form of additional taxation for the local municipality.

Update on my request for records of signal maintenance for that traffic light have been received but the local government responsible for maintaining the traffic signal is having a tough time finding any records and has requested a delay to respond to my request.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">