• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got a ticket today, should I fight it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mike2791

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Ok, so I was on my way to class when I got pulled over by a State Trooper going the opposite direction, He said he clocked me going 72 in a 55, but apparently said I slowed to 70, however, on the ticket, it says he used "Watch (Ground)" Detection Method for calculating my speed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the VASCAR system?

He was traveling West, I was driving East. He was moving at highway speeds then pulled off the road, Turned on his Take Down lights and made a U-turn and pulled me over.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no VASCAR lines on this road, and no land marks (Mailboxes, driveways etc) that I passed that he could see from his position down the road. In my own research of the VASCAR system, he must choose a point, when I pass that point (Point B) he flips a switch, then flips a switch once he passes me (Point A), then he flips another switch when he gets to Point B. The system will tell him how fast I was going, which he can then make his U-turn to pull me over.

However, what actually happened was, I was driving, and he pulled over on his shoulder, and turned on his Take Down lights, and started making a U-Turn before I even passed him. So how could he of possibly got a VASCAR reading?

Here's the good part, I have it all on video, from my own Dash Cam! He pulled over about 8 seconds before I passed him. Now if I was going 72 MPH, and he pulled over 8 seconds before I passed him, then I was over 845 Feet away from the Trooper when he had pulled over to wait on me to pass, to pull me over, and I'm guessing as much as 3x or 4x that distance when he was "Clocking" my speed by "Judging" where I was on the road, because he was coming towards me, also at highway speeds.

Also it was in the morning, and overcast out, so it was a little dark out, dark enough that almost everyone had their head lights on still. Wouldn't my headlights also alter his Judgement on where my vehicle was from such a far distance? I had mine on as well.

Oh, also on the ticket, He even got my vehicle model wrong, I told him about the mistake trying to be compliant, and make him aware, and he simply just said "It doesn't matter."

Now on the ticket, it says he did not use any form of Radar, just "Ground (Watch)" Detection Method. Is there anything else besides the VASCAR system he could of used?

Thanks!

Last edited:

FlyingRon

VASCAR is one timed system, but there are others and since he just said "watch" rather than VASCAR I suspect he used a stop watch (possibly a Robic or another that has the function of converting time and distance directly into MPH).

You're free to inquire about what landmarks were used and their measured distance versus the time in court. The argument that you couldn't think of any landmarks that were usable wouldn't mean much.

Mike2791

Well VASCAR does that exact same thing, and there was no actual "VASCAR" option on the ticket.

Believe me, he could not of known the distance, the only landmarks on this road, was a set of mailboxes, and a Driveway, and from where I was pulled over and stopped, you could not even see the mail boxes from that point, much less farther down the road like he was.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you truly and sincerely believe that you were not going more than 55, then by all means fight the ticket.

However, if you know you were speeding and your only justification for fighting it is, I don't think he can prove it, then just pay the damned thing. I am so sick of people coming here looking for convoluted ways to avoid taking responsibility for their actions.

No need to respond.

Mike2791

I may not believe I was going 55 or under, but I do truly and sincerely believe I was not going 70 either.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I can only repeat what I said before. If you were speeding (and if you were going 56 or over you were speeding) pay the ticket.

That's my advice.

Mike2791

I'm not going to pay a ticket for 70 mph when I know I wasn't going that fast.

I would gladly have the ticket reduced though.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In other words, you posted here so that you could get justification for not paying the ticket, not because you really wanted to know the answer to your subject question.

That's pretty much what I thought. Heaven forbid that you take responsibility for your actions.

Mike2791

No, in other words I posted here because I wanted to make sure my knowledge of VASCAR was accurate, and if that is what "Watch (Ground)" meant, because I question if the officer actually timed me going 72mph correctly or accurately, and if I would have any grounds to fight it.

Thanks for your input though.

Mike2791

It's way out of character for me to go that fast on this type of road, and for more reasons than the posted limit. My truck is a pig when it comes to fuel, so I watch my speed, and it snowed / sleeted the night before and it was early morning, and so there was a chance the road could have been slick in a few spots.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">