• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Graduated License + Speeding Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

g_lee17

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I got a speeding ticket (47 in a 30 zone) on Sunday, 9/29, and it's my first offense. I have a junior license but I turn 18 this Thursday, 10/3. How is that going to work? Will I have the points on my senior license? Does my license automatically turn to a senior license once I turn 18?
Will my license still be suspended?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I got a speeding ticket (47 in a 30 zone) on Sunday, 9/29, and it's my first offense. I have a junior license but I turn 18 this Thursday, 10/3. How is that going to work? Will I have the points on my senior license? Does my license automatically turn to a senior license once I turn 18?
Will my license still be suspended?
On your 18th birthday, your driver record indicates that you are a Class D driver. There is no need to wait until you have your new Class D driver license before you drive as a senior driver. You can drive as a senior driver on your 18th birthday.
http://www.dmv.ny.gov/license.htm#permit

How the DMV Calculates Your Point Total

The DMV computer system automatically calculates your point total as follows:

You must be convicted of the traffic violation for the points to be added to your point total, but the calculation of your point total is based on the date of the violation, not the date of the conviction.
The points for violations that all occurred within the last 18 months of one another are added together to calculate your point total.
The record of the conviction, and the points, are listed on your driver record for as long as the conviction remains on your record. The information about the conviction and points is not removed after 18 months from the violation date. Only the calculation of your point total changes. Learn more about convictions and your driver record.

Point Total Example

You are convicted of a 3-point violation and the violation occurred on January 1, 2009. You are later convicted of a 4-point violation that occurred on July 1, 2010. Your point total includes the points from both violations, because they both occurred with a single 18-month period. Your point total is 7 points.

The Effect of Points

If your point total reaches 11 points or more based on the calculation described above, the DMV notifies you and suspends your driver license. You can request a DMV hearing only to show that a different person committed the violations. You cannot request a DMV hearing to prove that you were not guilty of the violations. You cannot request a DMV hearing to request a waiver of the suspension.
http://www.dmv.ny.gov/license.htm#permit

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/youngerdriver/gradLicense.htm

You Are Guilty

Kiss that license goodby for a couple months:

NY DMV said:
Penalties for Traffic Violations as a Junior Driver

Your junior permit, license, or privileges will be suspended for 60 days if you are convicted of one serious traffic violation or two other violations that were committed while you held a junior permit or license.

Your junior permit, license, or privileges will be revoked for 60 days if you are convicted of one serious traffic violation or two other violations within the first six months after your permit, license or privileges are restored after a suspension or revocation.

A "serious traffic violation" is normally a violation that carries three or more driver violation points.
17mph over is a 4 point offense: http://www.dmv.ny.gov/license.htm#points

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It doesn't matter how old you are now or will be at a future time. What matters is your age on the date of the infraction.

Points are points. As long as the client ID of the license is the same (which it will be for the rest of your life no matter what class of license you have now or in the future) then the points stick with you.

Your license will be suspended for a minimum of sixty days.

Then you'll have to pay a suspension termination fee to lift the suspension - it is NOT automatic, so don't start driving around after 60 days or you become subject to arrest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">