• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Green Light/Red Light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nativity

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I'm going to try and make this not confusing.

A couple months ago in a town over from where I live they installed new traffic lights to allow a turning signal for the opposite side. In doing so they have also added traffic lights to the side's of the poles as well.

This is where it gets confusing, when heading north the lights at the top will be Red, while the light that is facing the same direction that is over to the left on the pole will be green. And this has caused some confusion I think for people. They are seeing the green light at the side, and going when traffic is clear yet the light at the top for them is still red.

I figured this was just a glitch since they put it up, but it's been the same way for 2 months now. So which light do you follow? If the light up top is red, do you stay until it's green or do you go because the light to the left on the pole is Green?

Or is it meant to signal some kind of Yield? So far I've seen dozens of cars go through what at the top looks to be a red light, and I think this is confusing them. I have always stayed I don't need another ticket.

seniorjudge

Q: I figured this was just a glitch since they put it up, but it's been the same way for 2 months now. So which light do you follow? If the light up top is red, do you stay until it's green or do you go because the light to the left on the pole is Green?

A: I've seen a lot of confusing things up north, including these little wonders. I, like you, stop if it is red and I can't tell what the hey I am supposed to do. I have also seen flashing GREEN lights! :confused:

xylene

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I'm going to try and make this not confusing.

A couple months ago in a town over from where I live they installed new traffic lights to allow a turning signal for the opposite side. In doing so they have also added traffic lights to the side's of the poles as well.

This is where it gets confusing, when heading north the lights at the top will be Red, while the light that is facing the same direction that is over to the left on the pole will be green. And this has caused some confusion I think for people. They are seeing the green light at the side, and going when traffic is clear yet the light at the top for them is still red.

I figured this was just a glitch since they put it up, but it's been the same way for 2 months now. So which light do you follow? If the light up top is red, do you stay until it's green or do you go because the light to the left on the pole is Green?

Or is it meant to signal some kind of Yield? So far I've seen dozens of cars go through what at the top looks to be a red light, and I think this is confusing them. I have always stayed I don't need another ticket.
Find out who is in charge of this traffic signal and get them to adjust it.

FlyingRon

If the turn light can be seen in the non-through lanes the light should have a sign on it that says "LEFT TURN SIGNAL".

I'm still trying to figure out what the flashing green means in Boston (Go like hell?).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">