• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GS 20-141(J1) - 55mph in a 35 mph Zone- Need Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JSCG GA

I am a Georgia resident who has never had a speeding ticket (40-45 yrs old). I was recently given a speeding ticket for driving 55mph in a 35mph zone in North Carolina. No excuse, just driving along with a few other cars on a four lane highway and did not notice the speed limit drop before getting to a small town. I am a 6 hour drive away from the court location. Officer stated I did not need to appear if I pay the total fine and court costs of $180 before the court date. I am more concerned with trying to save my driving record than the costs of a lawyer, but I wondered if anyone could provide advice as to whether it appears a lawyer would help over just paying the fines and taking the results. Any advance? Thanks in advance for any replies.

justsomecop

Do you have any other moving violations on your license other than speeding? If you do not, I think that hiring a lawyer would cost more than 180 bucks and you would have to travel that far to the courthouse. Alot of states have deferrment or you can take some kind of traffic school to get this citation off of your record. Alot of times in alot of states they will put you on driving probation if you pay the fine, and if you do not get a violation in that time frame they will take it off of your record. It is all up to you. I would call or research North Carolina's laws on what your options are before you make that decision. Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">