• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guilty or not guilty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

susankqh

What is the name of your state? OREGON

Got a bogus "rolling through stopsign ticket". I'm certain I stopped because I get a squeak from my tires (whole other issue there) when I release the brake and start again.

I keep hearing that I should plead guilty in court since the officer "is never wrong" in the eyes of the judge.

I don't see the point in pleading guilty if I'm not. I'm not really worried about the fine so much, as the points. To my knowlege, if someone pleads guilty the judge can't eliminate the points, just reduce the fine. Is this correct?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

susankqh said:
What is the name of your state? OREGON

Got a bogus "rolling through stopsign ticket". I'm certain I stopped because I get a squeak from my tires (whole other issue there) when I release the brake and start again.

I keep hearing that I should plead guilty in court since the officer "is never wrong" in the eyes of the judge.

I don't see the point in pleading guilty if I'm not. I'm not really worried about the fine so much, as the points. To my knowlege, if someone pleads guilty the judge can't eliminate the points, just reduce the fine. Is this correct?
***A: do you have any prior moving violations on your record?

B

biker11

if you are not guilty you should not plead guilty. the great thing about our country is you are innocent until proven guilty. a judge must remain impartial and decide based on the facts presented to him. not by always siding with the police. if you have no prior citations the prosecutor will most likely drop the charge. i know in my state that before the judge arrives the prosecutor talks to each person and decides if he's gonna reduce the charges or make you pay the full amount or drop the charges.be nice to the prosecutor and you should be fine..if they decide that you're gonna pay plead not guilty and ask for a continuance.go back and present your case. or tell them you need time to consult an attorney because you refuse to lose a case in which you are not guilty.even a traffic ticket they cannot deny your right to a trial

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">