• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have a DUI on record and I just got a speeding ticket. What happens to my license?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Relz

I live in California and I got a DUI last year and I just got a speeding ticket over the weekend. The judge stated that I am on probation for 3 years and I am not supposed to break any laws until then. So what happens next? Do I just pay the speeding ticket off and go to traffic school? Or is there more to it? Do I have to go see the judge again for breaking my probation? Please help.

S

seniorjudge

Q: I live in California and I got a DUI last year and I just got a speeding ticket over the weekend. The judge stated that I am on probation for 3 years and I am not supposed to break any laws until then. So what happens next?

A: Do you have a probation officer? I suggest you tell your PO immediately what happened. If you do not have a probation officer, then you should report to the court that you had a law enforcement contact.

Q: Do I just pay the speeding ticket off and go to traffic school?

A: If you are guilty, yes.

Q: Or is there more to it? Do I have to go see the judge again for breaking my probation?

A: Yes, you may have to go before the DUI sentencing court to explain why you have violated your probation.

rmet4nzkx

In addition, to reporting to your PO/Judge, you will also have to contact the DMV, as there may be administrative consequences. Are you current will all aspects of your probation and attneding AA or some similar program? You should also contact your attorney.

CdwJava

The infraction is not likely to violate your probation. However, the points from the violation may be sufficient to cause the suspension of your license by the DMV.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">