• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have to go to court - should I call the cop?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nervousinVA

What is the name of your state? VA

I have to go to court for reckless driving 75 in a 55. I want to know if I should hire a lawyer or try it on my own. If I do need a lawyer, I don't know who to hire because I'm not from the area I got the ticket in. Nor do I know anyone who lives there.

Do you think the trooper who gave me the ticket would speak to me if I called the station? He was the friendliest cop I've ever met, and he seemed like he cared about the fact that I was nervous and scared when he was giving me the ticket. (Maybe it was just an act). I was wondering if I called him and asked him if he thought I needed a lawyer, is he allowed to give advice? Like do you think he could name a law firm that has a good reputation? Or is that unethical?

Thanks!

racer72

Don't call the cop, he cannot give you legal advice. If you don't know what to do, you need a lawyer. There are links on this site that can assist you in locating a local attorney, use them. Can't miss them, there bright red.

Tori8

I called the police officer who pulled me over for failure to stop at sign, I simply asked him if I were to show up would he work with me to keep the points off of my license he said he would and told me to find him beforehand, the fine will still be in place but I will not get the points. Also, my husband was pulled over for speeding 75 in 55 and the officer told him if he showed up for court he would reduce the speed so he wouldn't get points and he even got some money back and zero points.

This is just my experience. It couldn't hurt to speak to the officer as long as you are cordial and respectful on the phone. But I agree with the post above, you shouldn't ask legal questions that would definately be a bad idea. You should be able to tell by how the officer speaks to you on the phone, just what you are in for. Then you will know if you need a lawyer.

Again, I am no expert this is just my experience and opinion.

nba119

If you have a clean driving record, just show up to court on time and dressed nicely and you should just get driving school.

I got caught doing 86 in 65(which i don't thing I was doing) and I had one accident on my record and got 30 days suspension and $250.00 fine I wish I had gotten a lawyer.

nervousinVA

Thank you all for your advice. I really appreciate it.

nba119: are you saying that if I have a clean record, you don't think I need a lawyer, in your opinion? what state did you get your conviction?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">