• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Having an accident on private property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Uncle Bill

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

The other night I was leaving the bar taking home some friends that were drunk. And as I was leaving my parking spot, this other car that was parked to the left side of my car just a couple of parking spots over, pulled out, turning right, and flew out of nowhere in front of me causing my car to bump into her car. See got out demanding(in a hurry) my insurance form, my name and my number. My guess was she was drunk and did not want the police involved. I wanted to call the cop to get a report but I am on probation which means I cannot go to the bar. So I choosed not to call the police due to the circumstances. I too was in a hurry to get out of there but I made the mistake of not getting her information before we left. I know I screwed up there but I do have her phone number. I thought about calling her and asking her for her information but she would probably lie.

Now for my questions: 1.Who is at fault here? I know I hit her but she was flying across the parking lot. 2. Should I call her in an attempt to get her information? 3. Do I need to call my insurance and report the accident? 4. Also someone told me that since it happened on private property that there isn't much that she can do about it. Any truth to that? Any help

JohnBLZ

You are. You were driving the striking vehicle. According to your post, she had the right-of-way.

You can if you wish.

I'm sure your insurance company will want your version of events. If you want them to cover the damages, it would be a good idea to call them.

No truth whatsoever. She can sue you no matter where the accident occurred.

You really should have called the police, if for no other reason than to get an accident report. Your insurance company will almost certainly ask for a copy. When you tell them you didn't call the police, what are you planning to say?
I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, but I would disagree. In my limited experience (admittedly), a private property accident is a no-fault state unless you or the other party admits or is provent to have failed to take reasonable measures to prevent such.

Feel free to prove me wrong, I'm interested.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">