• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Having ticket removed from record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

el_zool

What is the name of your state? WA

To make a VERY long story short, and please just take my word for this, I have a minor speeding ticket on my record from roughly 3-4 years ago which, compunded with other factors, is keeping me out of the military. I know that often times when teenagers (I was 19 at the time) get speeding tickets, they can have them removed from their record if they attend traffic safety school for a day or something similar. Is there a way to have it removed after this long or can it only be waived immediately after receiving it? Any insight here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

racer72

A ticket on your driving record will not keep you out of the military. I am guessing you didn't pay the ticket and now have a warrant for your arrest, that will keep you out. The only way to remove the warrant is to pay the ticket and all associated penalties and late fees. Washington has not had driving school for anyone since 1991 and when they did it was for those under 18. The only option now is a deferrment, pay the fine and court costs, keep your nose clean for a year and the ticket goes away. That option is not available to you now.

el_zool

Actually, I did pay it (four years ago) on time, and it's keeping me out because, as army recruiting guidelines state, anyone with a juvenile criminal record (such as myself), no matter how minor, cannot enlist unless they have gone five years or more "with no offenses." The definition of "offenses" is never given, but according to the recruiter I spoke to, he believes it encompases minor traffic violations, and I've been unable to find anyone who can refute or confirm this. And I know for a fact that Washignton has offered ticket deferment schools much more recently, as my old roommate went through it about two years ago, when he was 19. Anyway, if there can be ANY definite insight here on any of the aforementioned issues, I'd again really appreciate it. Thanks.

seniorjudge

el_zool said:
What is the name of your state? WA

To make a VERY long story short, and please just take my word for this, I have a minor speeding ticket on my record from roughly 3-4 years ago which, compunded with other factors, is keeping me out of the military. I know that often times when teenagers (I was 19 at the time) get speeding tickets, they can have them removed from their record if they attend traffic safety school for a day or something similar. Is there a way to have it removed after this long or can it only be waived immediately after receiving it? Any insight here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

el_zool said:
Actually, I did pay it (four years ago) on time, and it's keeping me out because, as army recruiting guidelines state, anyone with a juvenile criminal record (such as myself), no matter how minor, cannot enlist unless they have gone five years or more "with no offenses." The definition of "offenses" is never given, but according to the recruiter I spoke to, he believes it encompases minor traffic violations, and I've been unable to find anyone who can refute or confirm this. And I know for a fact that Washignton has offered ticket deferment schools much more recently, as my old roommate went through it about two years ago, when he was 19. Anyway, if there can be ANY definite insight here on any of the aforementioned issues, I'd again really appreciate it. Thanks.

What's the rest of the story?

seniorjudge said:
What's the rest of the story?
true there is more to this story... once probation and sentencing is complete minor traffic violations and even some misdomeanor criminal convictions will not keep you from the military. Even with criminal convictions depending on what they are for you can get waviers and still get in.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">