• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Headlight off San diego - Notice to appear

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

milapshah15

Hi All,

what happened is this.

- At 10 PM I came out of target and started for my home which is 1 mile away.After driving 0.2 miles , Cop pulled me over for headlights off citation
- I thought it would be a normal fine ticket which I would pay online
- But it was notice to appear.I got surprised.I am new to california and still have illinois license.
- they have given me time till 2 months to appear to the court.

Please let me know how i should proceed

Some questions and facts

- I have Illinois license and number plate.I thought of going to to DMV this week to get both of them changed.Should I still proceed for that and then finish this court matter(as my deadline is till Oct 22 2015)?
- What would be the fine ?
- 3 months back I went to Seattle and got speeding ticket (10 mph over) and I did not take traffic school that time as not aware of that
- Do I need to go to the court or wait for courtesy notice?

Any help and direction would be much appreciated as I am not that experienced in all these.

Warm regards,
Milap

FlyingRon

What were you actually charged for? The headlight violation or failure to have a California license/registration?
If you were charged with the latter, I'd definitely get my license and car registered in California and see if the judge will allow it to be a "correctable" violation. A correctable violation reduces it to $25 and no points.
Ohtherwise the failure to register is $197 and the failure to have a license is between $238 and $408 depending on just what they charged you with.
The former would be a $238 fine and again some judges will consider this to be a correctable violation.

Are you talking about the appearance date on the ticket is two months from now or that you asked the court for an extension?
In the former case, look for the courtesy notice and/or contact the court to confirm the date and see what options for paying the ticket in advance of the appearance is.
Note, that the courtesy notice is just that, a courtesy. You may not receive one and failure to receive one won't mean anything to the court.

Traffic court eligibility is not affected on your use of it in another state. Traffic court INCREASES the amount you pay (there's a fee to the state PLUS what you pay to the school) but it can dismiss a single violation.

milapshah15

Hi ,

Thanks for the response.

I got a court notice for "Headlights off".I was just asking should I proceed with my license and registration while this is going on.Moreover , what would be the fine for headlights off and how should i proceed with this.

Warm regards,
Milap

milapshah15

Moreover ,

I have not asked for any extension.The ticket issued to me says that you have to appear on or before 10/21/2015.That is 2 months from now and I got the ticket just day before yesterday.

Warm regards,
Milap

FlyingRon

If you've not received a courtesy notice by several days before the notice to appear, contact the court (you may be able to do this online).

You absolutely should get a California license / registration. You're required to do this anyhow and you're just risking things continuing to break the law.

You can go to the arraignment (the date you're to appear) and inquire if it can be made correctible (if it wasn't already marked as such).

CdwJava

First, a courtesy notice is just that - a courtesy. It is not required. You MUST appear on or before the court date indicated on the citation. If you fail to appear you could lose your privilege to drive and be subject to increased penalties.

Also, the ticket says more than "headlights off." It also has a Vehicle Code section - what is that section? I'm guessing it is for VC 24400(b), but would like some verification just in case it might also include a cite for something else.

milapshah15

Thanks for the reponse.

Here is the Code : 24250

To summarize,I should go to court and ask them if that can be made correctable first.If not then I should ask for the bail amount and take the student class

Is this correct ?

Warm regards,
Milap

CdwJava

Interesting ... you were cited for VC 24250 ...

24250. During darkness, a vehicle shall be equipped with lighted
lighting equipment as required for the vehicle by this chapter.​

While arguably still valid, it's not the usual section for lights off as it is often considered correctable (i.e. a "fix it ticket") which would cost you $25 if signed off. Was there a box checked to the left of the code section indciating it is correctable? if not, the judge may permit it to be, anyway.

It's your choice as to whether you want to fight it or not. But, if not correctable, paying it and taking traffic school is a viable option. Some might say that you should roll the dice and fight it and hope the officer does not respond to a trial by written declaration or appear in court, but, then you could lose the TS option. It's your call.

milapshah15

Thanks for responding.

Can I go to the court and ask them what all options are available or I should wait for the courtesy notice to show up at my place?

I am new in California and don't know why for this offense he has given court appearance.What is the best approach to take as I am not able to decide anything.

Warm regards,
Milap

davew128

Thanks for responding.

Can I go to the court and ask them what all options are available or I should wait for the courtesy notice to show up at my place?

I am new in California and don't know why for this offense he has given court appearance.What is the best approach to take as I am not able to decide anything.

Warm regards,
Milap
Ugh. ALL citations say that. It means you need to respond on or before the date not that you have to actually go in and appear.

milapshah15

Court appearance

Hi All,

I have my court appearance tomorrow and I hope judge will reduce my fine a little.Any advice would be apprecuated.

Warm regards,
Milap

milapshah15

They both have the same end result. "No contest" merely says you are not really admitting to committing the crime, but you are declining to mount a defense.
Thanks a ton and appreciate your reply.

I have my court appearance tomorrow and I hope judge will reduce my fine a little.Any advice would be apprecuated.Any advice so I can get my fines reduced.Currently as per the notice , I have to pay $291 which is too high for headlight off.

Warm regards,
Milap

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">