• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Heavy fine for failure to provide insurance proof w/o correction (insured)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CGamc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was pulled over for not using a turn signal. The proof of insurance I provided was expired by about 2 months (closer to 1), but I was not aware. The car was still insured though and the cop acknowledged this. When he handed me the ticket, he said it was just a "fix it ticket" and I needed to show current proof of insurance. On the ticket itself, it showed the violation marked as not correctable. The violation is described as "VC 16028(a) NO INSURANCE". Today I received the citation/fine in the mail, at $1,116.00 "w/o correction". This is an insane amount, and whats worse is I get this ticket just weeks after getting laid off. What I want to know is why this is so high, and will I really be able to "fix it" the way the cop says? Will the fine still aply? There is no mention anywhere about failure to use a turn signal. Im extremely anxious and stressed about all of this, no way I can pay for that, I already have stressful financial issues before all of this, especially with school beginning in about a month. Any and all help appreciated.

LdiJ

You didn't fix it. Now they determined you owe it. Your license is likely suspended also.
I think that you jumped a bit further along in the process. He just got the citation. He needs to challenge it and provide proof that he actually was insured on the date in question.

CGamc

The car is currently insured, I do have current proof, which is now in the car where it should be. So, will the fines be dropped/decreased once I show proof of insurance? The ticket says my court date is on 9/9/13 at 12:30 PM (no mistake)

OHRoadwarrior

I inferred you had been found guilty already. Show up for trial or earlier, with proof of correction. See if they accept it and only charge processing.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was pulled over for not using a turn signal. The proof of insurance I provided was expired by about 2 months (closer to 1), but I was not aware. The car was still insured though and the cop acknowledged this. When he handed me the ticket, he said it was just a "fix it ticket" and I needed to show current proof of insurance. On the ticket itself, it showed the violation marked as not correctable. The violation is described as "VC 16028(a) NO INSURANCE". Today I received the citation/fine in the mail, at $1,116.00 "w/o correction". This is an insane amount, and whats worse is I get this ticket just weeks after getting laid off. What I want to know is why this is so high, and will I really be able to "fix it" the way the cop says? Will the fine still aply? There is no mention anywhere about failure to use a turn signal. Im extremely anxious and stressed about all of this, no way I can pay for that, I already have stressful financial issues before all of this, especially with school beginning in about a month. Any and all help appreciated.
I think that you jumped a bit further along in the process. He just got the citation. He needs to challenge it and provide proof that he actually was insured on the date in question.
The car is currently insured, I do have current proof, which is now in the car where it should be. So, will the fines be dropped/decreased once I show proof of insurance? The ticket says my court date is on 9/9/13 at 12:30 PM (no mistake)
So, the million dollar question here is - was the car insured on the date that you received your ticket, or was it not?

We already know that the insurance card you presented at the time of the violation had expired at least 1 month earlier, as you've already told us. Is that because you allowed your policy to lapse, or is that you just failed to carry a CURRENT insurance card with you in the vehicle?

If you are able to show proof of current insurance at the time that the ticket was issued, then the judge may be able to at least waive that part of the fine. If you WERE uninsured at the time, but have since gotten insurance coverage, that's where the "CORRECTABLE" part comes in. You would have corrected the lack of insurance issue, but not until after you had been cited for driving without insurance. If that's the situation, then you'll end up paying that hefty fine.

There is a lesson to be learned here. You are required and responsible for carrying a current insurance card in your vehicle at all times that can be presented to a peace officer upon demand. Your forgetting about this is what got you the ticket you received. I would suggest setting some kind of reminder towards the end of your policy term to let you know that it's time to renew AND that you need to put that new insurance card in your vehicle. If you don't, I suspect that this will be an expensive mistake that is very likely to repeat itself.

CGamc

So, the million dollar question here is - was the car insured on the date that you received your ticket, or was it not?

We already know that the insurance card you presented at the time of the violation had expired at least 1 month earlier, as you've already told us. Is that because you allowed your policy to lapse, or is that you just failed to carry a CURRENT insurance card with you in the vehicle?

If you are able to show proof of current insurance at the time that the ticket was issued, then the judge may be able to at least waive that part of the fine. If you WERE uninsured at the time, but have since gotten insurance coverage, that's where the "CORRECTABLE" part comes in. You would have corrected the lack of insurance issue, but not until after you had been cited for driving without insurance. If that's the situation, then you'll end up paying that hefty fine.

There is a lesson to be learned here. You are required and responsible for carrying a current insurance card in your vehicle at all times that can be presented to a peace officer upon demand. Your forgetting about this is what got you the ticket you received. I would suggest setting some kind of reminder towards the end of your policy term to let you know that it's time to renew AND that you need to put that new insurance card in your vehicle. If you don't, I suspect that this will be an expensive mistake that is very likely to repeat itself.
Yes, the car was insured when I got pulled over, the cop did acknowledge that, I guess he looked it up. The proof itself was outdated, but I did dig up current proof, and its now in the car for future instances.

CourtClerk

Yes, the car was insured when I got pulled over, the cop did acknowledge that, I guess he looked it up. The proof itself was outdated, but I did dig up current proof, and its now in the car for future instances.
Just present proof that the vehicle was insured on the day of your citation and that violation will be dismissed upon payment of a $25 fee. You will have to pay for the other violations though.

CdwJava

If you can show the court that you had insurance at the time of the stop, then the violation can be corrected by the court for the administrative fee of, I believe, $25. The relevant section would be VC 16028(e).

It is not indicated as "correctable" per VC 40610 as it is not a license, registration, or equipment violation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">