• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A heck load of wrong information on my traffic tix

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

firebrain

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York City

OK got 2 tix one for cell phone one for driving without my license on me...
The tickets have my name mispelled pretty bad, the wrong street address (the st # is off by 1 1242 53rd st instead of 1242 43rd st) wrong birthdate by one yr. the plates are temps that dont show up in any dmv system. The expiration of license says unknown. the only correct info is my license number. What should I do ? fight it or pay it

I also think they quoted wrong law for driving without my license on me. They wrote unlicensed operator sec 509

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York City

OK got 2 tix one for cell phone one for driving without my license on me...
The tickets have my name mispelled pretty bad, the wrong street address (the st # is off by 1 1242 53rd st instead of 1242 43rd st) wrong birthdate by one yr. the plates are temps that dont show up in any dmv system. The expiration of license says unknown. the only correct info is my license number. What should I do ? fight it or pay it

I also think they quoted wrong law for driving without my license on me. They wrote unlicensed operator sec 509
The officer based the ticket on what YOU told him because you didn't bother bringing your license with you

firebrain

That is actually incorrect. The information written on the tickets told to the officers by the dispatcher. I gave him my license number and he radioed it in.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Did you have temp plates on the car?

And I'm curious about why you would memorize your license client ID.

The license charge is correct - and easy to get dismissed upon proof that you are, in fact, licensed. He should have written you Traffic Rules 4-12 a3 which is "faile to present required documents". I guess he was giving you a break on one.

firebrain

So what's the problem then? Contest the ticket, and let us know how it went.
Well first Id rather not even contest it (if its not my record).The ticket cant be found on DMV website or by calling them.

Second is that the prosecutor might offer me a plea bargain (Is this done in NY? I've never fought a ticket here, but thats how its done in NJ depending on your case) which will obviously waive my right to trial. I only want to fight if I know my case is pretty strong.

3rd I want to know if their is a clause for dismissal based on incorrect info just like by NYC parking tickets.

Did you have temp plates on the car?

And I'm curious about why you would memorize your license client ID.

The license charge is correct - and easy to get dismissed upon proof that you are, in fact, licensed. He should have written you Traffic Rules 4-12 a3 which is "faile to present required documents". I guess he was giving you a break on one.
Yes I had temp plates on the car. However the temp plates are basically untraceable since they dont come up in police/DMV records (the officer told me this himself). Furthermore the car was recently bought and wasn't registered at time of the summons issuance.

The reason I knew my client ID is because you have to enter it all over the place today (bank account applications, Credit applications, and many other applications that require further ID verification besides ssn)

Can you post a link to that law on NYS website

Last edited:

HighwayMan

So what do the temp plates have to do with anything?

The information that the officer wrote incorrectly will not cause the tickets to get dismissed.

One ticket will be dismissed when you show you are licensed. The other is a cell phone and no points.

There is NO plea bargaining in NYC. The Traffic Violations Bureau is administrative and there is no prosecutor.

If I was you I'd mail back the unlicensed ticket with a clear copy of your license and just plead guilty to the second. The fact that they're not in the system yet is meaningless at this point.

firebrain

Thanks

Thank you for all the good advice.

Although I see that it lets you plea by mail I don't think you can submit evidence they just give you a court date

HighwayMan

Thank you for all the good advice.

Although I see that it lets you plea by mail I don't think you can submit evidence they just give you a court date
That's correct. The instructions on the back of your ticket should explain getting a ticket dismissed for unlicensed/unregistered/uninsured. You cannot do that online. If you plead not guilty online you will be scheduled to appear in court.

Your alternative is to just show up at ANY TVB office (listed on the ticket) and see a judge with your "proof". The ticket should be dismissed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">