• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP! Have court tomorrow for reckless driving. What to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yana7676

What is the name of your state?
Connecticut

I received a ticket for reckless driving. I was doing 89mph on a 65mph highway. When the officer approached my car, all he said was "you were doing 89mph in a 65mph zone." then he took my license and registration. He returned 20 mins. later with a ticket.
I have court tomorrow and I don't even know what to say to defend myself. In CT, you can get jail time and a penalty for a first offense of reckless driving. That can lead to a DMV 30 day license suspension.
What makes me mad is that everyone speeds on that highway. There was even a truck that passed me on my left because I was going to slow for that driver, but he didn't get stopped.
What should I say?

sukharev

Yana7676 said:
What is the name of your state?
Connecticut

I received a ticket for reckless driving. I was doing 89mph on a 65mph highway. When the officer approached my car, all he said was "you were doing 89mph in a 65mph zone." then he took my license and registration. He returned 20 mins. later with a ticket.
I have court tomorrow and I don't even know what to say to defend myself. In CT, you can get jail time and a penalty for a first offense of reckless driving. That can lead to a DMV 30 day license suspension.
What makes me mad is that everyone speeds on that highway. There was even a truck that passed me on my left because I was going to slow for that driver, but he didn't get stopped.
What should I say?
Either request court continuance and get an attorney to represent you, or go there tomorrow, and talk to DA before trial. He may offer you a break (lower charge to speeding). Good luck.

CarrieT

Yana7676 said:
What should I say?
Something my Mother always asked me, when I would argue: 'But everyone is doing it'......"If everyone was jumping off the golden gate bridge.. would you follow? And who will you blame for the resulting consequences?" Just something to think about.

I can understand the frustration, especially if people are tailgating you to try and force you to go faster. However, if the speed limit is 65 and you are going almost 90, then its pretty certain that at some point you are going to get a ticket.

When you say you 'have court tomorrow' do you mean, you go to court to plead? Or have you already pleaded not guilty and now you are going before the Judge to present your side?
Carrie

sukharev

Actually, "I was going with the flow of traffic" is a valid explanation (not excuse), when you plead guilty. It may get the charge reduced, when coupled with a sorry face and "I learned my lesson" statement. Clean driving record would help, too.

You Are Guilty

Well, I for one, always recommend waiting until the night before you face potential jailtime to start preparing your defense. (Then again, I also think running with scissors is a good idea).

However, I have found that nothing works better than going into court for a reckless charge and telling the judge that if he gets you off, you'll do the same for him (winkwink).

Good luck.

Leviticus

You Are Guilty said:
However, I have found that nothing works better than going into court for a reckless charge and telling the judge that if he gets you off, you'll do the same for him (winkwink).

Good luck.
You realise you are going to put all the attorneys out of business if you keep giving free advice like this. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">