• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help, I'm Desperate..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

djrbx

What is the name of your state? California
Hi, I was cited for a speeding violation around Bakersfield, CA. The citation is 22348B for going 106mph on highway 5 I was also cited for not having insurance papers in the car which is 16028A>00. I was driving my friends car due to the fact that we live in San Francisco and he was driving the way to LA and was too tired to drive back. So he told me to drive back and on my way, we got pulled over.

After the trip, my friend and I argued about my girlfriend (now my ex). So I am not in good terms with my friend anymore and was wondering how how much do you think my ticket would cost me?

Thank You for your time.

seniorjudge

djrbx said:
What is the name of your state? California
Hi, I was cited for a speeding violation around Bakersfield, CA. The citation is 22348B for going 106mph on highway 5 I was also cited for not having insurance papers in the car which is 16028A>00. I was driving my friends car due to the fact that we live in San Francisco and he was driving the way to LA and was too tired to drive back. So he told me to drive back and on my way, we got pulled over.

After the trip, my friend and I argued about my girlfriend (now my ex). So I am not in good terms with my friend anymore and was wondering how how much do you think my ticket would cost me?

Thank You for your time.
Q: So I am not in good terms with my friend anymore and was wondering how how much do you think my ticket would cost me?

A: I will answer part of your question. In addition to the fine and court costs, you may face loss of your driving privileges and (when you get them back) insurance at about three or four times the rate you are paying now.

sukharev

Well, go to court, plead guilty and see if the judge shows leniency and reduces the fine. You can try to subpoena your friend as a hostile witness, to explain why HE had the car without insurance. You need to consider hiring a traffic lawyer, familiar with this particular court. Just keep in mind that regardless, it will only help if you show the judge you are taking responsibility for your actions.

seniorjudge

djrbx said:
thanks, but do you think the costs will be over a grand or under?

My guess is way over a grand.

Standard answer

Here are some hints on appearing in court:

Dress professionally in clean clothes.

Do not wear message shirts.

Don't chew gum, smoke, or eat. (Smokers...pot or tobacco...literally stink. Remember that before you head for court.)

Bathe and wash your hair.

Do not bring small children or your friends.

Go to court beforehand some day before you actually have to go to watch how things go.

Speak politely and deferentially. If you argue or dispute something, do it professionally and without emotion.

Ask the court clerk who you talk to about a diversion (meaning you want to plead to a different, lesser charge), if applicable in your situation. Ask about traffic school and that the ticket not go on your record, if applicable. Ask also about getting a hardship driving permit, if applicable. Ask about drug court, if applicable.

From marbol:

“Judge...

You forgot the one thing that I've seen that seems to frizz up most judges these days:

If you have a cell phone, make DAMN SURE that it doesn't make ANY noise in the courtroom. This means when you are talking to the judge AND when you are simply sitting in the court room.

If you have a ‘vibrate’ position on your cell phone, MAKE sure the judge DOESN'T EVEN HEAR IT VIBRATE!

Turn it off or put it in silent mode where it flashes a LED if it rings. AND DON'T even DREAM about answering it if it rings.”

(Better yet, don’t carry your cell phone into the courtroom.)”

Here are five stories that criminal court judges hear the most (and I suggest you do not use them or variations of them):

1. I’ve been saved! (This is not religion specific; folks from all kinds of religious backgrounds use this one.)

2. My girlfriend/mother/sister/daughter/wife/ex-wife/niece/grandma/grand-daughter is pregnant/sick/dying/dead/crippled/crazy and needs my help.

3. I’ve got a job in [name a state five hundred miles away].

4. This is the first time I ever did this. (This conflicts with number 5 below, but that hasn’t stopped some defendants from using both.)

5. You’ve got the wrong guy. (A variation of this one is the phantom defendant story: “It wasn’t me driving, it was a hitchhiker I picked up. He wrecked the car, drug me behind the wheel then took off.” Or, another variation: “I was forced into it by a bad guy!”)

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=854687#post854687

Public defender’s advice

http://newyork.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/70300494.html

Other people may give you other advice; stand by.

CalifAtty-19

djrbx said:
So I am not in good terms with my friend anymore and was wondering how how much do you think my ticket would cost me?

My response:

I particularly liked that question. Talk about a disjointed question!

IAAL

sukharev

CalifAtty-19 said:
My response:

I particularly liked that question. Talk about a disjointed question!

IAAL
My response:

I particularly liked that answer. Talk about a disjointed personality :D

Hey, IAAL (or whoever pretends to be one), guess how I know you are not a real attorney!

AHA

sukharev said:
guess how I know you are not a real attorney!
Is it really necessary to start this all over again??

And just FYI, for anyone or everyone who doesn't read the "rules" about this site. NOWHERE DOES IT PROMISE THAT EVERY POSTER IS A LAWYER!!!!

Now, please read and understand that because I'm sick and tired of spoonfeeding ADULTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BelizeBreeze

sukharev said:
My response:

I particularly liked that answer. Talk about a disjointed personality :D

Hey, IAAL (or whoever pretends to be one), guess how I know you are not a real attorney!
And of course, you'll post your bar card number or license reg number so that we can verify YOU are an attorney correct?

R

ronda_jeremy

BelizeBreeze said:
And of course, you'll post your bar card number or license reg number so that we can verify YOU are an attorney correct?
Bar card? Get me one and I'll buy you a drink or several. My Mastercard needs a break! No leisure suits, Larry! Come as you are and let's see what happens!

Pugilist

I don't know if IAAL is a lawyer or not, but he certainly is persistent - a good quality in a lawyer.

Now, as to the OP's predicament - wouldn't he be best off hiring a lawyer? I think so.

Pug

sukharev

BelizeBreeze said:
Gee, I wish I could, but you know I dont have Atty in my name :)

The site has an appearance of providing expert LEGAL advice, and for many first time visitors it's the only time for a reason, they get NONE. All they see is replies from people who amuse themselves by picking on the easy targets, and ridiculing somebody who asked for help. I hope AHA and any other senior members who respect themselved would recognize the need to point this out to new visitors, and offer positive alternative (without the need for picking up an old fight). I will certainly continue doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">