• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help me Please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lil_angel108

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Okay. I was ticketed for going 65 in a 45. I was following some friends because they were showing me how to get back to school. When they went to go around a turn their brake was stuck so they ended up going into a ditch. This cop turned around from the opposite lane and pulled up there where they were at. I went and turned around and pulled into a parking lot near where it had happened. The officer came up to my car and asked me why I was speeding. I didn't know I was so I told him that I was just following our friends. He was like well now you are going to get a ticket for following your friends. I was like what the heck. But i'm taking it to court because I believe that I was wrongfully ticketed because he did not pull me over. I came back to the scence when my friends went in the ditch and then he gave me a ticket. Does anyone see any flaws or anything that can help me in court? I've never been there before so I dont know exactly what to say or how to play the case. But if anyone knows anything about this please let me know because I dont want to look like an idiot in court. Thanks!

lil_angel108

Me again

BTW, my friend that was in the car with me said I was going 55 and the guys in front of us said that their speeometer said 55 also.

BelizeBreeze

lil_angel108 said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

Okay. I was ticketed for going 65 in a 45. I was following some friends because they were showing me how to get back to school. When they went to go around a turn their brake was stuck so they ended up going into a ditch. This cop turned around from the opposite lane and pulled up there where they were at. I went and turned around and pulled into a parking lot near where it had happened. The officer came up to my car and asked me why I was speeding. I didn't know I was so I told him that I was just following our friends. He was like well now you are going to get a ticket for following your friends. I was like what the heck. But i'm taking it to court because I believe that I was wrongfully ticketed because he did not pull me over. I came back to the scence when my friends went in the ditch and then he gave me a ticket. Does anyone see any flaws or anything that can help me in court? I've never been there before so I dont know exactly what to say or how to play the case. But if anyone knows anything about this please let me know because I dont want to look like an idiot in court. Thanks!
and your friends AND you are like, screwed. Unless you can show the judge a recent certification for your speedometer or your friend's can show some sort of certification that they are state-registered to GUESS how faxt you were going....like wow.

Curt581

lil_angel108 said:
I was following some friends because they were showing me how to get back to school. When they went to go around a turn their brake was stuck so they ended up going into a ditch.
Their brakes got stuck, huh?

How about... the driver saw the cop ahead, knew he was speeding and slammed on the brakes. That's what caused them to skid out of control and go into the ditch.

Much more plausible.
But i'm taking it to court because I believe that I was wrongfully ticketed because he did not pull me over.
He doesn't have to "pull you over". All he needs is to see the violation.
Does anyone see any flaws or anything that can help me in court?
Nope.
I've never been there before so I dont know exactly what to say or how to play the case.
You can either say, "Guilty" or you can say, "Not Guilty".
If you opt for Not Guilty, I suggest hiring an attorney. If you try to do this on your own, you're gonna say something stupid. For example... "I'm not guilty since the cop didn't actually pull me over".

Also... don't say things like "And I was like..." or "And he was like..." when you're in court. There are few other things you could say that would make you look more like an idiot.

lil_angel108

Whatever

Actually their brake was stuck b/c there was a pop bottle under it. And this isn't about my friends its about me. First of all I didn't know I was speeding cause i was concentrating on following them so I didn't get lost. And second he was not going to pull me over. He decided he was going to give me a ticket after I came back to see what was going on. If I wouldn't have gone back then there would have been no ticket involved, but I was not going to leave my friends in the ditch. So if you want to talk crap about how dumb I am then don't reply because i'm looking for advice on what to do.

Curt581

lil_angel108 said:
Actually their brake was stuck b/c there was a pop bottle under it.
An object UNDER the brake pedal would stop the pedal from going down... meaning the brakes wouldn't slow or stop the car. It would not make the brake pedal get stuck to the floor, causing them to lock. Sorry... try again.

And this isn't about my friends its about me. First of all I didn't know I was speeding cause i was concentrating on following them so I didn't get lost. And second he was not going to pull me over.
Irrelevant.

The fact that the officer didn't 'pull you over' does NOT invalidate the citation.

I don't know how to make it any easier to understand.

He decided he was going to give me a ticket after I came back to see what was going on. If I wouldn't have gone back then there would have been no ticket involved, but I was not going to leave my friends in the ditch.
Coulda woulda shoulda... it's still irrelevant. The fact that you came back to the scene does not absolve you of the violation. It just made identifying you easier.

All that is relevant is whether or not you were speeding, whether he saw you do it, and how far in excess of the posted limit you were going. The method he used to confirm your actual speed could be called into question, but it is of somewhat lesser importance.
So if you want to talk crap about how dumb I am then don't reply because i'm looking for advice on what to do.
I don't need to... you're proving that pretty well all by yourself.

:D

lil_angel108

Thanks

Well obviously you are the dumb one because you can't read. I dont need your advice so please quit posting. And about the whole brake thing, you are stupid because their brake wouldn't go down. It wasn't locked or anything, they tried to turn down the street and they couldn't get the brake to go down so they missed the road and ended up in the ditch.

Last edited:
A

azmother3

actually he is giving you really good advice. Doesn't matter if you were following or not you were still speeding and the ticket it valid.

longneck

"stuck brake" = a brake that is engaged and can not be released
"failed brake" = a brake that is unable to engage due to a mechanical failure
"obstucted brake pedal" = a brake pedal that is obstructed

get your terminology right before you go to court. the brakes were neither stuck nor failed. they had an obstructed brake pedal. small errors like that may cause you to lose big time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">