• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help in NC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bspakecdm

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My license has been suspended for 6 yrs. I was not driving under the influence, or speeding. I have 2 failures to appear in the town where I live now. Both tickets were a result of someone else's refusal to take financial responsibility for the car I was driving. The first ticket I got was for driving with a "dead" tag and no insurance. I was in college and was driving my dad's car. It was registered to him and insured in his name, I thought. 2 weeks later I got another ticket for almost the same thing except this time I forgot to drive with my license( I had left it at home). After receiving both tickets my dad assured me he had taken care of it. I bought my own car 3 weeks later and all was fine. I went to the DMV in 2004 to re-new my license and found it had been suspended in 1999 because of those 2 tickets. Now I am no longer able to drive until I take care of these tickets. My dad is no longer living( he died in 2003) and I have no options other than to pay extorted fees. What are my legal options? I know I must take care of this, but surely there has to be a limit on how long you license can be suspended on charges that aren't in the same class as DWI/DUI Wreckless driving. What can I do to lower the fines. It has been 2 yrs. since I have driven, and it is hard to get back and forth to work, and school. The last count to re-instate my license was $2200! For fines, fees, and court costs. I never had a warrant issued for my arrest. Could something be mixed up? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

seniorjudge

bspakecdm said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My license has been suspended for 6 yrs. I was not driving under the influence, or speeding. I have 2 failures to appear in the town where I live now. Both tickets were a result of someone else's refusal to take financial responsibility for the car I was driving. The first ticket I got was for driving with a "dead" tag and no insurance. I was in college and was driving my dad's car. It was registered to him and insured in his name, I thought. 2 weeks later I got another ticket for almost the same thing except this time I forgot to drive with my license( I had left it at home). After receiving both tickets my dad assured me he had taken care of it. I bought my own car 3 weeks later and all was fine. I went to the DMV in 2004 to re-new my license and found it had been suspended in 1999 because of those 2 tickets. Now I am no longer able to drive until I take care of these tickets. My dad is no longer living( he died in 2003) and I have no options other than to pay extorted fees. What are my legal options? I know I must take care of this, but surely there has to be a limit on how long you license can be suspended on charges that aren't in the same class as DWI/DUI Wreckless driving. What can I do to lower the fines. It has been 2 yrs. since I have driven, and it is hard to get back and forth to work, and school. The last count to re-instate my license was $2200! For fines, fees, and court costs. I never had a warrant issued for my arrest. Could something be mixed up? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

http://www.dmv.org/nc-north-carolina/department-motor-vehicles.php

sukharev

You have at least 2 choices:

1) pay all fines (get on a payment plan if needed, or put it on low-interest credit card)
2) figure out if you are eligible for restricted license (call the court to find out)

Eventually, you still have to get it taken care of, so I would suggest just paying all fines and getting on with your life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">