• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP!! Out of state traffic ticket question!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blackx3

What is the name of your state? Live in Illinois, got the ticket in Georgia.

A month ago I got a traffic ticket in Turner County Georgia for doing 87 MPH in a 70 MPH zone, and was pulled over 2 miles down the road, and had my cruise control set at 70. I tried to explain this to the officer, to no avail. I am convinced he pulled over the wrong black car, but nevertheless, here is my dilemma.

I called the court and they told me to pay the fine and it was $252!!!!
For a traffic ticket on an Interstate??!! It's not like it was a construction zone, or was doing 110!!

If I just don't pay this, will they suspend my license in Illinois because of a speeding ticket in Georgia? I would go and fight it, but it's so darn far away and will probably be just as expensive. In the same respect, the officer told me that they videotape all of thier traffic stops, and am convinced if I could see that tape it would prove my honesty. Please somebody help? Will my license in Illinois be suspended because of this redneck town trying to make it's quota by the end of the month? I saw 7 cars pulled over in a 10 mile stretch of road down there, but not a single one elsewhere in the entire state!
I am furious. In my state 87 i a 50 would be a $110 ticket. This is ridiculous.

HomeGuru

blackx3 said:
What is the name of your state? Live in Illinois, got the ticket in Georgia.

A month ago I got a traffic ticket in Turner County Georgia for doing 87 MPH in a 70 MPH zone, and was pulled over 2 miles down the road, and had my cruise control set at 70. I tried to explain this to the officer, to no avail. I am convinced he pulled over the wrong black car, but nevertheless, here is my dilemma.

I called the court and they told me to pay the fine and it was $252!!!!
For a traffic ticket on an Interstate??!! It's not like it was a construction zone, or was doing 110!!

If I just don't pay this, will they suspend my license in Illinois because of a speeding ticket in Georgia? I would go and fight it, but it's so darn far away and will probably be just as expensive. In the same respect, the officer told me that they videotape all of thier traffic stops, and am convinced if I could see that tape it would prove my honesty. Please somebody help? Will my license in Illinois be suspended because of this redneck town trying to make it's quota by the end of the month? I saw 7 cars pulled over in a 10 mile stretch of road down there, but not a single one elsewhere in the entire state!
I am furious. In my state 87 i a 50 would be a $110 ticket. This is ridiculous.
**A: thank you for your post. If you were in Singapore and stole something from a store, would you gripe about the punishment you would get?

S

Silver91

Welcome to the money machine. Please report this to the NMA . National Motorists Association. It sounds like you were caught in a good ol' fashioned speed trap. Contesting a ticket is the correct response, however distance works to the advantage of the issuing agent. If you decide not to fight the ticket, please do contact the NMA so others will not suffer the same hardship.

" Please don't feed the machine "

Last edited:

racer72

Go to Google and do a search of State Drivers License Compact. Visit a few of the sites and learn how states now share traffic ticket info and how tickets can now follow you state to state.

lwpat

Out of State Traffic Ticket

You need to check the ticket immediately for your court date. Usually they are within three or four weeks of the violation and you do not want to miss your court date under any circumstances.
What will happen is that Georgia will issue a contempt of court warrant for your arrest and tack on a big fine.

If you just pay the ticket then it will be reported back to your home state and be treated the same as if received in your home state. Your local DMV office can look up your record and determine how it will affect your drivers license. Your insurance agent also has access to this information and can tell you how much your insurance is going to go up over the next three years.

In many cases it will be to your benefit to pay an attorney to represent you in court and get the ticket reduced or dismissed.
You can use the Find a Lawyer at this page or email me for more resources.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">