• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help with "reckless driving" case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Racerstodeath

What is the name of your state? Texas

Ok.. just got out of jail... stayed a night there for reckless driving in houston, tx... this is what happened... went to a dealer ship and got a preowned 2000 celica gt and asked the salesmen if i can test the vehicle's braking and handling and told him i don't want to do it on the streets...he told me to go to the back parking lot where a movie theater used to be and i can do it there... once i got to the parking lot...made a hard turn @ around 20-30 mph... car pushed...alot... made alot of tire noise... then i proceded to do a braking test... the first one was not hard but more of gental stop... then went back and did another braking test @ around 30-40 mph... the braking was very good... finished with my testing... i proceded to leave the lot... hold up in traffic... couldn't get out of the lot... 2 police vehicle came and arrested me.... just today... my parents bailed me out @ $500 cash...

so now... i just found the law i think they gonna charge me with...

545.401. Reckless Driving; Offense

(a) A person commits an offense if the person drives a vehicle in wilful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property.

(b) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by:

(1) a fine not to exceed $200;

(2) confinement in county jail for not more than 30 days; or

(3) both the fine and the confinement.

(c) Notwithstanding Section 542.001, this section applies to:

(1) a private access way or parking area provided for a client or patron by a business, other than a private residential property or the property of a garage or parking lot for which a charge is made for the storing or parking of motor vehicles; and

(2) a highway or other public place.

(d) Notwithstanding Section 542.004, this section applies to a person, a team, or motor vehicles and other equipment engaged in work on a highway surface.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995

so... this is the question...

1.) I was at the parking lot only because I didn't want to endanger anyone on the road by testing the vehicle on the streets. Can this get me off
(a) A person commits an offense if the person drives a vehicle in wilful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property.?

2.) I am not sure what the word notwithstanding means in this particular law. Can anyone help?

HomeGuru

Notwithstanding means you are guilty.
For other definitions, please consult your hardback or soft cover dictionary or use the ample online dictionary via internet resources.

Racerstodeath

just so you know... i did use those sources... but damn... its so hard just to understand what those definition mean in this case!

HomeGuru

Racerstodeath said:
just so you know... i did use those sources... but damn... its so hard just to understand what those definition mean in this case!

**A: heck, the definitions are for only one word.
Please try again. Maybe search the legal dictionaries. Or maybe take the word apart and separate into smaller words ie. not, with, standing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">