• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help requesting Discovery Requests in Riverside, CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sam_user

Discovery Requests in CA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience in making discovery requests regarding a traffic ticket in Riverside County, CA or CA in general? I sent discovery requests to the City and District Attorney.

The City Attorney actually called me back and informed me that their office is not responsible for these types of requests. He said he was not allowed to advise me on what to do, but I should basically just request information from everyone including the citing agency, District Attorney, and Sheriff's department.

I also emailed city hall and they informed that since there is no prosecuting attorney, my requests should only be made to the citing agency.

After a little researching, it seems that the citing agency (police dept.) don't have any obligation to fulfill my request. Should I request it anyway? (There are only 15 days until my trial by written declaration is due).

Any advice or experiences are appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

You're not the first one to ask any of these questions and my guess, you won't be the last. Here is what I mean;

California Penal Code Section 1054.1.
The prosecuting attorney shall disclose to the defendant or his or her attorney all of the following materials and information, if it is in the possession of the prosecuting attorney or if the prosecuting attorney knows it to be in the possession of the investigating agencies:
(a) The names and addresses of persons the prosecutor intends to call as witnesses at trial.
(b) Statements of all defendants.
(c) All relevant real evidence seized or obtained as a part of the investigation of the offenses charged.
(d) The existence of a felony conviction of any material witness whose credibility is likely to be critical to the outcome of the trial.
(e) Any exculpatory evidence.
(f) Relevant written or recorded statements of witnesses or reports of the statements of witnesses whom the prosecutor intends to call at the trial, including any reports or statements of experts made in conjunction with the case, including the results of physical or mental examinations, scientific tests, experiments, or comparisons which the prosecutor intends to offer in evidence at the trial.​

Considering the fact that there will be no prosecuting attorney handling your traffic case, the argument can be made that they do not have the knowledge of what evidence will be presented against you in court. Therefore, they typically will either tell you they are not responsible, or they will refer your request to the issuing aganecy for handling.

After a little researching, it seems that the citing agency (police dept.) don't have any obligation to fulfill my request.
I disagree... Here is why:

California Penal Code Section 1054.5.
(a) No order requiring discovery shall be made in criminal cases except as provided in this chapter. This chapter shall be the only means by which the defendant may compel the disclosure or production of information from prosecuting attorneys, law enforcement agencies which investigated or prepared the case against the defendant, or any other persons or agencies which the prosecuting attorney or investigating agency may have employed to assist them in performing their duties.​
So in my opinion, and since the law enforcement agency is the one actually preparing and presenting the case against you, they are, by my interpretation, responsible for fulfilling your request...

Should I request it anyway?
What other choice do you have?

There are only 15 days until my trial by written declaration is due.
Why not wait until the last minute???

California Penal Code Section 1054.5
(b) Before a party may seek court enforcement of any of the disclosures required by this chapter, the party shall make an informal request of opposing counsel for the desired materials and information. If within 15 days the opposing counsel fails to provide the materials and information requested, the party may seek a court order. Upon a showing that a party has not complied with Section 1054.1 or 1054.3 and upon a showing that the moving party complied with the informal discovery procedure provided in this subdivision, a court may make any order necessary to enforce the provisions of this chapter, including, but not limited to, immediate disclosure, contempt proceedings, delaying or prohibiting the testimony of a witness or the presentation of real evidence, continuance of the matter, or any other lawful order. Further, the court may advise the jury of any failure or refusal to disclose and of any untimely disclosure.​

As you can see, they have 15 days to fulfill your request... Assuming they chose to even reply, that is. And by you waiting this long, you left yourself no time whatsoever to request any of the remdies offered by the court if they were to ignore your request.

I'd still send it in... Who knows, you might be one of the lucky ones who will get the items you requested.

Oh, and just to save you the time and effort of posting "Can I ask for a dismissal if they don't reply", here is the answer:

California Penal Code Section 1054.5.
(c) The court may prohibit the testimony of a witness pursuant to subdivision (b) only if all other sanctions have been exhausted. The court shall not dismiss a charge pursuant to subdivision (b) unless required to do so by the Constitution of the United States.

So, out of curiosity, what were you cited for, by what law enforcement agaency and what items are you requesting?

sam_user

Thank you for your reply.

I was pulled over by a motorcycle cop for allegedly using my cell phone. I admit the phone was in my hand, but not in use.

In regards to California Penal Code Section 1054.5, the City Attorney actually told me that in criminal cases I would send a discovery request to the DA and not the law enforcement agency. But in traffic cases, it's different...well he said he didn't know and could not advise.

I am not trying to dismiss the case based on discovery not being met. I am actually hoping the cop doesn't submit his testimony! Haha...but yeah I just wanted to get info in regards to what the cop would state and see if I could argue against it.

I am hesitant to serve the police dept. because I don't want to waste any more money on postage (esp. if I end up paying the fine too) and in all honestly I would rather limit my communication with them unless necessary.

I finished looking through a few previous posts and it seems that if I want my info, then yes I will need to serve the police dept. too.

Jim_bo

Considering the fact that there will be no prosecuting attorney handling your traffic case, the argument can be made that they do not have the knowledge of what evidence will be presented against you in court. Therefore, they typically will either tell you they are not responsible, or they will refer your request to the issuing aganecy for handling.
There likely will not be any prosecuting attorney (PA) actually participating, but there is nothing that relieves the PA of their responisbilities

So in my opinion, and since the law enforcement agency is the one actually preparing and presenting the case against you, they are, by my interpretation, responsible for fulfilling your request...
There is absolutely nothing in the law that would obligate the ticketing agency to provide the requested discovery. If they provide anything, it will be simply because they are nice guys. The PA is clearly responsible for discovery. The cop is NOT the PA. He is a witness, nothing more, nothing less.

As you can see, they have 15 days to fulfill your request... Assuming they chose to even reply, that is. And by you waiting this long, you left yourself no time whatsoever to request any of the remdies offered by the court if they were to ignore your request.

I'd still send it in... Who knows, you might be one of the lucky ones who will get the items you requested.

I agree.

steel9

The fine for using a cell phone while driving is 20.00 but after the thieves add up all the other costs it will cost you about $130.00. Riverside county & city police cant be trusted. Your best bet is to just pay the fine & move on. The moron DA is just that...a moron. Good-luck.

sam_user

The fine for using a cell phone while driving is 20.00 but after the thieves add up all the other costs it will cost you about $130.00. Riverside county & city police cant be trusted. Your best bet is to just pay the fine & move on. The moron DA is just that...a moron. Good-luck.
I agree, Riverside County and city police are really corrupt and abuse their power. I see motorcycle cops parked on the SIDEWALK with their radar gun pointed at the street. WTF...I doubt that's safe for pedestrians!

My fine is actually $151, which is the main reason why I am trying to argue it. It's also the principle of the matter, if I am going to have to pay for it then they might as well work for it. I think everyone should contest their ticket for that reason.

Jim_bo

My fine is actually $151, which is the main reason why I am trying to argue it. It's also the principle of the matter, if I am going to have to pay for it then they might as well work for it. I think everyone should contest their ticket for that reason.
I absolutely agree. If everyone contested their traffic infractions, then that would kill all incentive of the "ticket for revenue" scam. When people simply pay their ticket without forcing the state to meet its burden in proving its case, then they just encourage the state to write more tickets and generate more revenue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">