• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with Speeding ticket in Alabama

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scotthawks

What is the name of your state? Alabama
i got pulled over by a city police this morning. he was a real smart ass. i asked him why i was being pulled over and he said speeding. he then proceeded to tell me that he had watched me for the past 2 mornings come down thru there speeding. ironic, i was at work the morning before at 6AM. anyway, he wrote the ticket. i asked him how he determined my speed. he said radar gun. i asked to see it. he told me no. i asked why, he said he didn't have to let me see it. he also said it was a safety concern for me being in his car. State troopers in alabama put you in there car while writing a ticket. anywho, what are my best chances of fighting and winning?

Thanks.

AlanShore

i got pulled over by a city police this morning. he was a real smart ass.
You were a smart ass too.

i asked him why i was being pulled over and he said speeding. he then proceeded to tell me that he had watched me for the past 2 mornings come down thru there speeding. ironic, i was at work the morning before at 6AM. anyway, he wrote the ticket.
You were speeding this morning, and got a ticket that morning. Previous mornings are irrelevant. He probably just was implying he saw you speeding on previous occasions.

i asked him how he determined my speed. he said radar gun. i asked to see it. he told me no.
You have absolutely no right at all to see the radar gun, nor does he have any reason to show it to you.

i asked why, he said he didn't have to let me see it. he also said it was a safety concern for me being in his car.
Good job. Pissed the cop off. It is a saftey concern for him to let you in the car. Never question a cop like that.

State troopers in alabama put you in there car while writing a ticket.
I never heard of that.

anywho, what are my best chances of fighting and winning?
Hiring a lawyer. With out that you will lose. Any chances you may have had at getting a reduction were probably lost when you pissed the cop off.

scotthawks

FYI, i was not being a smart ass!! an why doesn't he have to show me, or at least have some sort of proof the he actually did clock me speeding? as for the state trooper, i got a ticket about 3 years ago from one, and that's exactly what he did, put me in the front seat beside him while he wrote the ticket. and why the hell shouldn't i question a cop about something?? is he beyond fault or mistakes?? i think not. i have the right to ask questions just as he does. anyway, not the point. is there a law or statute that says he does or doesn't have to show me the radar? if not, where might it be implied that he doesn't? just trying to find out the facts about what my rights are.

Thanks.

cepe10

There is nothing clear cut on that in AL. FWIW, he could hold the reading from other vehicles to use on you... Bringing it up under your questioning would go toward the competancy of the witness. I.e what purpose did he have in hiding the reading from you, being evasive, etc. Example: if he were truly acting in his capacity as a public servant who is paid by the citizens of AL and was trying to make accurate measurements then he should be glad to have you confirm the reading... Not having it could mean a lot of things - he didn't have tracking history, he didn't hold the measurement, who knows.... Calibration of the unit is always a better avenue of attack.

scotthawks

trying to find law regarding calibration of radar gun units in AL, but to no avail. any ideas where I might find this, or what it is??

scotthawks

Probably right, courtroom is the better place to question. anyway, thanks to everyone for your help. i'm sure i'll be back to this forum soon.

Thanks!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">