• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Speeding ticket(G.S. 20-141(J1))

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

noticket

What is the name of your state? Maryland.

Actually, my driver's license is issued in Maryland, but the ticket I got on March 2nd was on I95 in North Carolina. I was cited for speeding going 82 in a 65 mph zone(G.S. 20-141(J1)). I didn't notice that there is a speed limit change on the road, it was very dark. The officer told me that the speed limit changed from 70 to 65 mph about 10 miles before I was pulled over. At the time I got pulled over, I was following a pick-up truck, and didn't pay much attention on the odometer.

My record is very clear and it' my first ticket ever. I need help on following questions:
1. How serious is it? I mean how much the fine is and how many points I will receive due to this.
2. Do I have any chance to have my ticket reduced (both fine and points)?
3. Normally, how much is the cost to hire an attorney on this kind of case?

Thanks in advance.

noticket

Another question

4. will taking a defensive driving course be helpful? and where should I take it, Maryland(where I live now) or North Carolina(where I got the ticket)?

Thanks again.

ecmst12

1. The fine should be written on the ticket, or you can call the court it was issued from. As for points, it depends on whether MD will put points on your license for offenses that happen in NC.
2. If you plead not guilty and go to court in NC, you may get it reduced. You can do this without a lawyer too.

The Occultist

Maybe things are different in NC, but where I come from, going 82 in a 70mph area is just as illegal as in a 65mph area, so I fail to see how such a speed limit change effected you getting that ticket.

mdljhu

http://mva.state.md.us/AboutMVA/INFO/26100-22T.htm

As per Maryland law, any info reported back to the DMV will be recorded on your driving record, but points will NOT be assessed in most (non-serious) cases. They do not give a list, but it would be a relatively safe assumption that a 17mph speeding ticket is not a serious offense. If you want to know 100%, I'd call the Maryland DMV.

noticket

Thanks a lot

I found those violations listed in the driver's license compact, speeding is not in the list:
(1) Manslaughter or negligent homicide resulting from the operation of a motor vehicle;
(2) Driving a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a narcotic drug, or under the influence of any other drug to a degree which renders the driver incapable of safely driving a motor vehicle;
(3) Any felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle is used;
(4) Failure to stop and render aid in the event of a motor vehicle accident resulting in the death or personal injury of another.

Now the question is, what are insurance companies looking at, the driving record or the points you have?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">