• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP! - suspended license after accident with no summons being issued!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

isreal0601

What is the name of your state? maine
tonight i was pulled over for not having a front license plate, and upon being pulled over i am informed my license has been suspended. I was in an accident about four months ago wherein my insurance had been cancelled three days before. i have since worked out a payment arrangement with the insurance company to pay for the damages to the other car. the officer who arrrived on the scene did not give me a ticket or summons or anything for the lack of insurance. i was in contact with the officer and he said that he would be delivering the summons personally to my house. he has my address my phone number and never delivered the summons/ticket. i was still told i would not have my license suspended. since the accident i got everything straightened out with my insurance and the vehicle is legal. now tonight i get pulled over and nearly arrested for having a suspended license... i didnt mention before but the reason i didnt have a front plate was because it was broke in the accident four months before and the vehicle has been back on the road less then a month. now i am charged with OAS which is a serious offense here in maine since "tina's law" was inacted last year. i live with my pregnant girlfriend who also has no license. i am really scared about how i am to get to work, the grocery store, and doctors appointments as my court date is a month away and i live in a rural area. basicly i am asking: 1. did the state have the right to pull my license with me recieving no summons/ticket after being told by the officer he would PERSONALLY deliver it to my house. 2. is there any way to rectify the situation? 3. what the hell do i do? im scared about the well being of my family..

JETX

1. did the state have the right to pull my license with me recieving no summons/ticket after being told by the officer he would PERSONALLY deliver it to my house.
Yes.
How do you KNOW that a summons wasn't delivered? Did you check with the officer and/or court??
Absent a confirmation from the court/officer, how would you PROVE that a summons was not received.

is there any way to rectify the situation?
You can certainly get a local attorney to review all the FACTS and try to 'resolve the situation'.

what the hell do i do?
See above.

im scared about the well being of my family..
Should have thought of that BEFORE you chose to drive a vehicle without a front license plate.

FlyingRon

He asked this over in the other forum JET.

Maine doesn't need to summons him to suspend his license. Once he was in the accident the BMV should have sent him a demand to prove he had insurance. If he didn't have insurance (or he didn't respond in 30 days) his license and registration were automatically suspended.

No criminal action is required to suspend.

JETX

He asked this over in the other forum JET.

Maine doesn't need to summons him to suspend his license. Once he was in the accident the BMV should have sent him a demand to prove he had insurance. If he didn't have insurance (or he didn't respond in 30 days) his license and registration were automatically suspended.

No criminal action is required to suspend.
I knew that.... which is why I responded as I did....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">