• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help! vehiclular assault...?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cornerstonetm

What is the name of your state? Montana

i had something really weird happen the other day. my brother was followed by two vehicles down the highway. one being a truck with just a driver, the other a station wagon with a driver and passenger. as soon as they caught up with him, they started badgering him on the road. it started as pulling in front of him and nailing the breaks, trying to get him to rear end them. they then proceded to herd him around the road, pushing him completely off the road, back on the road, across the double yellow line and back again. all while swinging car doors, attempting to hit him. there were five eye witnesses that can attest to the nature of the chase and everyone agrees they intended serious harm if not death. the problem is he managed to get away without a scratch or dent on the vehicle or himself. for this reason, the police say that nothing other than a civilian complaint can be done. i feel this is extremely inadequate, considering not only did they try to seriously harm or even kill my brother, but they endangered the lives of countless others on a strip of busy four lane highway about five miles long. as a note, i can ID the drivers.
any advice on how to handle this or what might be done would be extremely appreciated. thank you very much for your time.
sincerely,
reid

The Occultist

My advice is to contact the police and...oh wait, you did that and they gave an answer. That's it.

Oh, and if your friend really felt in danger, he should have immediately pulled over.

HappyHusband

The Occultist said:
My advice is to contact the police and...oh wait, you did that and they gave an answer. That's it.

Oh, and if your friend really felt in danger, he should have immediately pulled over.
I agree.
It is more difficult to be ran off the road when you are not moving.

And if the assailants also pulled over and attempted to assault your brother, he should have...well, I'm not familiar with Montana's gun laws. But, if it were me in this hypothetical situation, there would be some shooting.

CdwJava

There is something seriously off about this ... even Montana has laws against this sort of thing.

Did anyone get license plates? If so, do you know if the police contacted the other parties? Their version of events might have been something different.

What reason would these yay-hoos have possibly had to come after your brother (and, I presume you since you said that you could ID the other drivers). Did you and your brother get into a scrap at a truck stop or restaurant? A bar? Why on Earth would a trucker and a passing vehicle collude to try and kill you and your brother?

I think something must be missing in the equation.

And if you have at least the license plates of the vehicles I don't understand why the cops would not have at least taken the report even if nothing would realistically be done ... provided your brother's story held water. If the plates were from out of state, that might explain why they blew it off ... it wouldn't be right, but it would certainly make prosecution difficult.

- Carl

wonderingrover

I saw a report on the news a coupld of weeks ago where there was a rise in insurance fraud cases where 2-3 cars would try to team up to cause an accident where it would legally look like the target's fault (i.e.- driver in front car slams on brakes, target hits from behind and gets ticketed for following too closely). Then, one of the people claims injuries, and tries to get a large settlement from the target's insurance company. When I read this, I couldn't help wonder if this may have been what was attempted in this case.

CdwJava

Maybe ... but what got me thinking something else was going on was the mention of a "truck". I picture a truck being a big rig ... though it could have been a smaller utility or pickup type.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">