• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hey!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JacobJoel

What is the name of your state? Ca/NM

You all just might help me clean up all my skeletons.....

There was a (not so brief) period of time when i collected speeding tickets. Like, who really KNEW that you weren't supposed to paper the bathroom with them.....

i was also a cross country traveler during this time. I can't remember all of them, but i think i have one in Colorado, one in Texas, one in Utah and maybe one in louisana.

i have done every thing i can think of to track these down w/little, read: NO success. (i was a vagabond for a little while, moved every six months. amazing what you lose/trash/learn to live with out).

I've tried using the internet but didn't really know how that would go and i have been on the phone. they won't give me information over the phone, i have to 'present myself in person' at the courthouse of the county where the ticket was issued.

i haven't been able to figure out how to drive to the court house during a week day and get back in time for dinner w/out missing to much work. without speeding.

i'm thinking there are bench warrants out for these. as, i have a letter somewhere on one of them that i tried to fax my payment on a credit card (they didn't accept it for some reason) and i know it specifically says 'bench warrant'.

my new hubby has a few connections and he can't find anything. he can't even find the one i have the paperwork on. does that mean they are gone? erased or some such?

no?

i didn't think so....

AlanShore

It means there are warrants out for your arrest and you need to travel to each county court to take care of them. I would recommend hiring a lawyer.

seniorjudge

It means there are warrants out for your arrest and you need to travel to each county court to take care of them. I would recommend hiring a lawyer.
Yes, I agree.

And you may also find your license suspended or revoked!

(Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.)

Shay-Pari'e

JJ,

If you are in the military and have warrents, you need to bend over backwords to get this cleared up. This will hurt your career.

As stated above, hire a attorney.

JacobJoel

well...bummer

i didn't really take them seriously when they happened.

aside from that i just didn't have the money.

crumbs.

my poor husband. if we have to go to all these states.....

however, i did just get my NM license and nothing popped, which is why i asked. i can't figure out if they just 'went away' (because a good fantasy will sometimes get you through) or if the NM computers aren't 'plugged in'.

they didn't ask, i didn't tell.

thanks. i was hoping there was some website i could just plug into.

EDITED TO ADD: i am not in the military any more. discharged in 92. i am, however, attempting to land a government job. i am wondering if they did a background check and found what i haven't been able to locate. this is a unhappy thought.

AlanShore

i didn't really take them seriously when they happened.

aside from that i just didn't have the money.

crumbs.

my poor husband. if we have to go to all these states.....

however, i did just get my NM license and nothing popped, which is why i asked. i can't figure out if they just 'went away' (because a good fantasy will sometimes get you through) or if the NM computers aren't 'plugged in'.

they didn't ask, i didn't tell.

thanks. i was hoping there was some website i could just plug into.

EDITED TO ADD: i am not in the military any more. discharged in 92. i am, however, attempting to land a government job. i am wondering if they did a background check and found what i haven't been able to locate. this is a unhappy thought.
You will want to take care of these ASAP. Especially if you want a gov't jon. Sooner or later they will come back to haunt you.

JacobJoel

thank you. I know i need to take care of them. they are kicking my butt.

i'm just not gadding about the country like i used to. and i am not really into finding myself sitting in jail. i was single for a very long time, w/no means of protection or money.

it was a scary thought that i would drive all the way to Mississippi (yeah, i think i remember one there) present myself to the courthouse and say 'i have no means to pay this, i just want to get a copy of it should i ever come up with the money....i didn't think that they would just let me walk.

and i am so 'on top of things', in general. i have a few areas of stupidity myself.

we'll figure it out. i only have paperwork on one and the others are memory. i know i got them, don't have the hard copies and haven't figured out how to track them down.

i moved a lot back then.

i appreciate the insights.

EDITED for homeguru: oh. my. gosh. according to my husband a federal job IS an outhouse! that being so due to the fact that a federal employee is someone who is usually dealing w/crap that no one else wants to deal with or has the KNOWLEDGE on how to deal with it expediently! that is FUNNY!

however. having a collection of speeding tickets is not. i am not confusing the two.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">