• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit & Run Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kolorblynd

Hit & Run Violation HELP!

California

While backing out of a parking space, I scraped the car next to mine. There were no noticeable damages and the car was unattended. I know I should have left a note, but fled the scene anyway. There were 4-6 people that saw the incident and yelled at me while I sped away. I don’t think anyone got my license plate # as it was dark and I left in hurry, but now my conscience is getting to me. If someone did report me, how long would it take for the Police to get into contact with me? Would it be through phone or mail? It has been 4 days with no notice, and I heard they would have contacted me by now if the Hit & Run had been reported. Please help me put my worries at ease! Thank you.

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

kolorblynd said:
California

While backing out of a parking space, I scraped the car next to mine. There were no noticeable damages and the car was unattended. I know I should have left a note, but fled the scene anyway. There were 4-6 people that saw the incident and yelled at me while I sped away. I don’t think anyone got my license plate # as it was dark and I left in hurry, but now my conscience is getting to me. If someone did report me, how long would it take for the Police to get into contact with me? Would it be through phone or mail? It has been 4 days with no notice, and I heard they would have contacted me by now if the Hit & Run had been reported. Please help me put my worries at ease! Thank you.
They probably have a year to come and arrest you (if that is what they decide to do).

CdwJava

kolorblynd said:
California

They could be waiting for surveillance tapes, they could be waiting for review by a collision investigator, and the report COULD be at the DA waiting to go to court for a warrant.

You can either sit and wait - and hope. Or, you can do the right thing, and go in and settle the matter. The courts would look much more favorably upon you if you turn this in to a civil matter. If they have to come after you, expect jail time to be possible.

- Carl

truman612

Kolorblynd

Kolorblynd, i was in a similar situation and it is now april 4th 2005, have you been contacted at all via mail or phone about the situation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">