• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Honking at road crew=picture taken, what the point?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randomguy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

On one street that i take all the time they are doing tree triping for city of LA and have flag man there. I always honk at them when they hold traffic. Today they took picture of me and wrote the plate down. I am confused what is the point being this is infraction at most and can only result in ticket if police officer witness it and pulls you over. Are they doing it just in case? I guess i can get a letter from pd with a warning but it means nothing. Just wondering what the point of the picture?

FlyingRon

Why on earth would you "always honk at road crews"?
It's illegal:

V C Section 27001 Use of Horns
Use of Horns

27001. (a) The driver of a motor vehicle when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation shall give audible warning with his horn.

(b) The horn shall not otherwise be used, except as a theft alarm system which operates as specified in Article 13 (commencing with Section 28085) of this chapter.​

While I suppose they could file a complaint and the police would come out and write you a ticket, I would find that unlikely. Perhaps they are going to create a "Rude Drivers of California" website?

randomguy

Why on earth would you "always honk at road crews"?
It's illegal:

V C Section 27001 Use of Horns
Use of Horns

27001. (a) The driver of a motor vehicle when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation shall give audible warning with his horn.

(b) The horn shall not otherwise be used, except as a theft alarm system which operates as specified in Article 13 (commencing with Section 28085) of this chapter.​

While I suppose they could file a complaint and the police would come out and write you a ticket, I would find that unlikely. Perhaps they are going to create a "Rude Drivers of California" website?
I know it's illegal and all that but I just do not see cops taking their time to find me and write me a ticket. I would love to get on their ruder driver of california website....i hope they make one.

FlyingRon

I know it's illegal and all that but I just do not see cops taking their time to find me and write me a ticket. I would love to get on their ruder driver of california website....i hope they make one.
All it takes is one who is sympathetic to the plight of road workers.

randomguy

All it takes is one who is sympathetic to the plight of road workers.
You do have a point there. Wonder if that is why they took picture of me today but I didn't do that today. Oh well, i will fight the ticket if it comes to that being officer didn't witness the violation.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyingRon

You do have a point there. Wonder if that is why they took picture of me today but I didn't do that today. Oh well, i will fight the ticket if it comes to that being officer didn't witness the violation.
What on earth makes you think the police officer needs to witness the violation?

CdwJava

Why do you want to behave like an xx? Why do you want to give them a start every time you drive by?

It could be that one of these times someone will do something that will cause themselves or someone else harm when they get startled by your senseless, inconsiderate, and illegal act.

Oh, and the officer does not need to witness the act. A complaining party can sign a private person's arrest for the violation, or, they can send the matter by way of complaint to the city prosecutor or county DA. And if you are doing this regularly enough that they are now taking your picture, don't be surprised if they have a cop hidden out one of these times just to get you.

Got it.

I'll assume for now, that you're just being absurd to try and make a point that is as yet unclear.

I suspect you're pulling our leg with this thread ... or, you really are a sorry excuse for a human being.

randomguy

Why do you want to behave like an xxx? Why do you want to give them a start every time you drive by?

It could be that one of these times someone will do something that will cause themselves or someone else harm when they get startled by your senseless, inconsiderate, and illegal act.

Oh, and the officer does not need to witness the act. A complaining party can sign a private person's arrest for the violation, or, they can send the matter by way of complaint to the city prosecutor or county DA. And if you are doing this regularly enough that they are now taking your picture, don't be surprised if they have a cop hidden out one of these times just to get you.

Got it.

I'll assume for now, that you're just being absurd to try and make a point that is as yet unclear.

I suspect you're pulling our leg with this thread ... or, you really are a sorry excuse for a human being.
If private party could sign a ticket I would have gotten it long time ago. I have honked at parking enforcement(they are civilian in la) construction crew, firefighters, hell i even done it in front of a cop and still didn't get a ticket(I got out of it). So it seems very unlikely that I could get a ticket without cop being present and writing me up. Yes if cop is there and I honk that likely would result in ticket. The car is not registered on me so maybe that is why I never gotten a ticket as result of private citizen signing it or maybe it is because private citizens is not trained in knowing when the law is violated or not.

FlyingRon

My history of honking and not getting a single one yet.
You are sadly mistaken.

Just because you've never been charged with your illegal activities doesn't mean you won't be in the future. The citing officer doesn't need to be a witness or we'd never get a crime solved that didn't go down right in front of a cop.

randomguy

You are sadly mistaken.

Just because you've never been charged with your illegal activities doesn't mean you won't be in the future. The citing officer doesn't need to be a witness or we'd never get a crime solved that didn't go down right in front of a cop.
There is big difference between infraction and other crimes. When I was much younger I took couple of different administration of justice classes taught by watch commander for LAPD. He basically told the class unless cop is around you are off the hook when it comes to infraction. Now when it comes to other crimes it is totally different.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Then when you do get cited for your illegal activities, have the watch commander come down and defend you.

Oh, right, you can't - he's not a lawyer.

Silverplum

You're a good reason why we usually read first and answer second.

randomguy

Then when you do get cited for your illegal activities, have the watch commander come down and defend you.

Oh, right, you can't - he's not a lawyer.
Are you saying a person who job is to cut tree is qualified to know when law is violated or not? If he was he would be working as a cop and not trimming trees. I forgot that my plate was also written down by USPS employee as i was flying through their parking lot. So either they can't write you a ticket without cop being present or i am being very very very lucky . I do not believe in such luck so I am guessing it's the earlier reason.

justalayman

Are you saying a person who job is to cut tree is qualified to know when law is violated or not? .
Maybe he does know that specific law. Often times when there is a person that has to deal with idiots such as you are showing yourself to be, they learn the germane laws so they know who they can file a complaint on.

Other than that, say he doesn't know the law. That doesn't mean he can't call the police and attempt to file a complaint. He doesn't have to know the law. If he thinks the law has been violated, he can call the police and make a report.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">