• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Horses outlawed on public streets California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eqstrnn

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California A municipality (Palos Verdes Estates) has passed an ordinance to outlaw riding horses on public streets in the city. I understand that California State Vehicle Code would supercede this ordinance and it cannot be enforced -- yet I was threatened with a citation by a local police officer who informed me that I could not ride my horses on/in the street I was on -- that I was only permitted to take one certain street to get to the public horse trail. These are all public streets, not county roads, not highways. Is this ordinance enforceable?

CdwJava

eqstrnn said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California A municipality (Palos Verdes Estates) has passed an ordinance to outlaw riding horses on public streets in the city. I understand that California State Vehicle Code would supercede this ordinance and it cannot be enforced -- yet I was threatened with a citation by a local police officer who informed me that I could not ride my horses on/in the street I was on -- that I was only permitted to take one certain street to get to the public horse trail. These are all public streets, not county roads, not highways. Is this ordinance enforceable?
Yes, the ordinance is enforceable. The city can pass an ordinance restricting certain types of traffic on its roads.

You can go to the city council and try to change the ordinance, but they certainly can pass such an ordinance.

- Carl

eqstrnn

Thanks

Thanks for the quick response - I am on the board of the local Horsemens Assn. and we are meeting tonight, so it's very helpful to have an answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">