• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOV/Carpool lane - baby counts?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Well from what I read..They are in the process of turning(or considering) all the HOV lanes into HOT lanes,( High-Occupancy Toll lanes).

Of cource, I don't live there so I am not sure if they are doing that yet.

But yes, they sure did a darn good job at hiding the rhymes and reasons why or how they came about deciding what the fines are.

AHHH well here I found something else..rather quickly..must be dumb luck!!:D

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/Travel/traffic/hov/hovqalst.htm#11

What happens to drivers who violate HOV lane rules?
Violators can be stopped and cited by the enforcement officer monitoring the HOV lane, or simply re-directed back into the slower-moving general purpose lanes. Fines accompanying the citation vary from state to state, from $50 in Massachusetts to over $300 in California depending on the number of citations offenders have received.

In addition this is a report dated January 1990 so if it still applies then......

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/Travel/traffic/hov/00101537.pdf

4.1.4 Citation Characteristics
Bail Schedules.Prior to January 1989, the reported cost of a citation for an occupancy
violation ranged from $35 (plus court costs) on LA 91 and the El Monte Busway to $65 on OR 55.
In January 1989, the California Legislature raised the level of fines for occupancy violations of
HOV lanes. Legislation in Senate Bill (SB) 236 dictated the following fine structure.
Offense
First Conviction
Second Conviction
Third Conviction
Penalty
Minimum Maximum
$100 $150
$150 $200
$250 $500
Surveys taken in March 1989 (see Section 6.3.2) suggest that the driving public was not
generally aware of this revised fine structure.

Well if this still applies..(I havent found anything to the contrary) then..........

Do I get an A for effort teach......HUh Huh Huh!!!!:D ...lol

As for EVERYONE!

I appreciate all the responses and discussion, and especially those who had the time and expertise to find the actual rules! The practical consideration (she's more likely to be pulled over by officers who can't see the baby) is also a very good point.

Thank you all very much!

Last edited:
If I helped your debate..then:D

As far as having the time..huh..My kids first day of school!..(YAY)!

As far as having the expertise...Well I like a challenge!!

To be honest..I have only been here(a member) for a while.And I am NOT an attorney! So I guess, It was out of the challenge that IAAL presented, and after everything, my own curiosity.

At the very least, I am now more educated about California traffic laws then the traffic laws where I live!!;) If I ever get a wild hair and decide to take an over 3,000 mile trip..Then at least I know the penalties for violating the HOV lane!

Have a great day..Take care!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">