• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I fight a ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abezon

What is the name of your state? WA

Any advice from my fellow sharks on how to fight a ticket? I've never done traffic court & don't know what arguments actually work.

Facts: There was a 3-car collision caused by the lead car stopping improperly. The 3rd car in line was ticketed for following too closely. The cop did not see the accident and mailed the ticket later in the week.

Do the rules of evidence apply in traffic court? Can I just argue that all the state's evidence is hearsay and that the fact there was a collision is not determinative of whether the driver of the 3rd car was following too close? Thanks for the help!

abezon

Res ipsa loquitor? Surely there are circumstances under which the driver of the leading vehicle is at fault. For example, pulling out in front of someone, defective taillights, etc. If all the State can offer is hearsay evidence that an accident occurred and how it occurred, can the State meet its burden of proof?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">